Return to the Upstate New York Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's with these stink bugs??

Posted by susanzone5 z5NY (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 2, 06 at 19:10

For years we had ladybug invasions indoors (still have them) and this year we have these shield beetles that stink when you crush them. How DO they get into the house? They're huge. Anyone know why this is happening?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's with these stink bugs??

Yuk!! Never heard of it. Ask your local cooperative extension, they had great info on the ladybugs.

o

Are they the Western Conifer Seed Bugs? We have had them for a few years - not huge numbers, but just a few here and there inside. Thankfully, they don't bite!

-Caroline

(from the Penn State Web Site below)
"Even though this insect does not bite or sting, it causes concern among occupants of homes, offices, and laboratories when it comes indoors. Complaints from residents increase as the insect becomes more active and conspicuous on days in the fall and spring when the temperature is above freezing. In several areas in the northeastern United States, this insect has created great alarm when large numbers of adults suddenly invade houses looking for overwintering sites."

Here is a link that might be useful: Western Conifer Seed Bug

o

Thanks, Carolyn. That's the one. They are creepy when they are crawling on me or my sofa. I've gotten used to ladybugs on me, but these things are too huge. I have tight windows, so I am clueless as to where they are getting in.

o

I saw these guys outside last summer and wondered what they were. I'd never seen them in my 35 +- years in Ulster County. Sure hope they don't find their way indoors. After I saw them on the link, I dreamed they were stuck to my legs :-0

Carol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Upstate New York Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here