Return to the Upstate New York Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mountain Lion Siting in Massena NY

Posted by muskiemaguc Dec Region 6 (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 25, 10 at 19:49

I was enformed by a relieble source that he had seen a mountain lion in Massena N.Y. on Feb.25, 2010 at 7:00am in the morning within an hour I was in the woods with a bottle of water and 2 quarts of dry plaster and a video camera. I was given very spicific instructions to the location of the sighting, we had a foot of wet packy snow and the tracks were not hard to find. I started to back track from where I found the tracks to determine where the cat had come from. What surprised me was when I came to a spot where two cats had been walking together, but had gone in two different directions. I had been following a large set the new ones were large but a little smaller so Idecided to follow them. I came to an area where these same track made a small circle and I noticed the cat had urinated and the urine was blood stained (menstrual) by now these tracks were about 2 hours old an the blood/urine had started to dispurse into the snow to about 2ins. in diameter and to a depth of 2ins. I followed the tracks for a 1/4 mile and they joined up with the other set of larger tracks. After following them about an Hr. I came to a spot where they had bedded down.Up to this time the tracks were meandering back and forth. But when I came upon the tracks that were leaving the bed they were in a straight line and the tracks indicated very hurried exit,I feel I had spooked them. I followed them for a while and came upon a bloody urine spot but this time the urine had not soaked into the snow I knew I was close. Then I came to a barbed wire fence where the tracks went under I found a large patch of hair, the hair was not course but very fine, and almost golden to light brown in color. Moving along and following the tracks I heard a noise that sounded like something running through the brush. I decided to follow the larger of the two sets of prints. When I came to the spot were I heard the noise the animal had leaped the distance of about 8 to 9 feet and bolted from the area. I gave up the pursuit. I plaster cast and took photos of the foot prints. Collected the hair and the bloody urine which I have in my freezer. I dont know where to take the hair and urine to have it analyzed If anyone knows were to take it please let me know, I feel I have the proof that there are mountain lions in NEW YORK STATE.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mountain Lion Siting in Massena NY

Good for you.

o
RE: Mountain Lion Siting in Massena NY

Folks,

We spotted a mountain lion in Hamlin, NY, right off Rt. 19 where the town just put in a new trail system.

We had a similar experience to others posted here. Two of saw the cat as were hiking today.

At first, I spotted the cat as it ran across the main path, but I thought it was a VERY big fox, because of the red color (not really thinking cougars here).

After we got deeper into the woods, on a side trail, we came across it dead on about 100 feet ahead, but thinking at first it was a deer -- until I saw the cat's head, and thought geez, that looks like tiger. Then, I realized OMG --that is, it's a mountain lion!

We both saw it at the same time, and I never turned, tucked tail, and ran so fast! We hauled out of there scared skinny that cat saw us.

We made a narrow escape, when I saw that head my animal instinct kicked in, I knew we were in big danger.
I felt like we were back on the steppes of Africa suddenly exposed, like in a dream, where you are suddenly confronted with an attacker.

So there you have it, sighting of cougar along Lake Ontario, western NY, about 30 miles northwest of Rochester. Anyone else care to verify?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Upstate New York Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here