Return to the Upstate New York Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Brutal Windstorm

Posted by wantoretire_did z4 NY (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 18, 06 at 19:53

Hi all -

Yesterday and last night we had a brutal windstorm with 65 mph winds and were without power, hence water, heat, etc. from about noon yesterday (Friday) until 5:00 AM today, and cable/internet was off until nearly noon. We did have bottled water to drink and took water from the stream to flush. Neighbors went out and got pizza so we dined here by candlelight and oil lamps!! Temps dropped drastically. When the furnace went on at 5:00 AM, it was 52 in the house. Thanks to a very heavy comforter and a blanket, we were comfortable.
DH went to the mall late morning today. No traffic lights between here and there (near exit 15) and all stores are closed. No power. I went to the $$ store at the other end of town. No power :-(

A tree fell on the cab of a state worker's truck on Ave. of the Pines and killed him around noon yesterday. That's the worst. Thousands of people were still without power as of midday today.

Carol
We are thankful that we came out none the worse.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Brutal Windstorm

Carol,
Good to hear from you and know that you are all right. I have heard that there are still thousands of people without power. Temps are bitterly cold but hopefully we are on the downside of winter now and it won't be long lived.

Penny

o
RE: Brutal Windstorm

DS is here. He lives 5 miles due north of us and is still without electricity, probably until Tuesday. So he's here doing laundry, having a home cooked meal, and will stay over.
Weather is wierd everywhere. I saw 4 robins this morning :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Upstate New York Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here