Return to the Upstate New York Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Watering

Posted by mudlady Syracuse-z5 (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 26, 06 at 21:51

I am trying wintersowing and if I am successful, I will have lavish beds of annuals come spring. I will have to do a lot of watering if I do have lots of beds. My well water is too nasty to drink, even though I have a substantial treatment system. Untreated water is extremely hard with high levels of calcium, magnesium, and iron. The treated water still smells bad but has been softened and most of the iron is removed. However, I am concedned about the sodium content of the treated water. I use bottled water for my houseplants, but I have to choose whether to water outdoors with treated or untreated water. Using the untreated water is a chore because it comes only from the hydrant in my Siberian huskies' kennel and I have to use a very long set of hoses.

Any ideas about which source of water would be best for the outdoor plants?

Mudlady

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Watering

I am going to take a guess here that the untreated water would be the best solution. However, If you have a way of collecting it how about rain water? Last year I used a lo9t of bucket to collect snow and as it melted I used that to water a lot of my plants I also collected rain water in large storage tubs. I live in the city and have city water but when I can provide extra rain or snow water I use it since the city water is full of chemicals.

Penny

o

Softener salt is not good for plants. At first they won't mind, but eventually the salts build up in the soil and wreak havoc, starting with sensitive plants first.

At our house we have well water. The incoming pipe is split as it goes into the house. One fork goes for the outside hose system, the other goes to the water softener and everything in the house. I didn't have to request it, it was built that way, probably because people don't want to pay to soften water that is only going outside. Check your pipes to see if you might have a similar situation without knowing it.

o

First try to reduce the watering. Deeply prepared beds and mulching can help a great deal, as can growing plants that don't necessarily need a lot of water.

If you don't have to water, then the problem disappears.

o

Also, you could try alternating with the softened water and the untreated water. Definately do not use any chemical fertilizers as they contain salts as well. Stick with organics. But I think the ideal situation would be to put in one or two rain barrels and use lots of mulch on your flower beds.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Upstate New York Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here