Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
magicman2u

Garden/plant Swap in April!

magicman2u
18 years ago

Now that we all are crazy about winter sowing..Who is gonna organize a garden/plant trade for April or May? Or maybe even still a seed swap! I have a ton of seeds and more from E-bay on the way here! First we need to find out how many of us there are in the Buffalo - Niagara area! Then we need to set a date and place! I could even Drum up a flier and post at some decent places. This sounds like it would be fun and great to meet fellow forum chatters! I think some Timmy Ho's coffee should be included! Well let me know what you all think!!...Wayne

Comments (22)

• penny1947
    18 years ago

Wayne the past 2 years we held a plant swap the first week end in June. That gave some of us that do wintersowing time for our babies to have a little growth before the exchange. We also incorporated a pot luck lunch and we had a ball. I am sure as it starts to warm up a little the plans for this year will start to unfold. Besides the swap, you can also post seeds to swap now on the exchange page of this forum and most of the other forums

Penny

• faltered
    18 years ago

I was actually thinking about this the other day, too. And I told myself that I REALLY need to get my butt in gear and come this year. I chickened out the past two times!

I forget who was the generous host- all I remember is it was in Arcade or Batavia or somewhere out that way.

I'd offer to host, but ya'll would not fit at our tiny trailer!!

Tracy

• tastefullyjulie
    18 years ago

If we did it outside I would volunteer as well. Our yard is quite large. What do you do, set up tables, etc.

• penny1947
    18 years ago

The past two years we did it at Garden Frog's house and we held it outside. Everyone brought a lawn chair if they wanted to sit. Some brought a folding table to put all their plants on. We even kept food in the coolers outside. Tracy you really do have to attend this year whereever we have it as we had a ball.

Penny

• magicman2u
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well no offense to any one but I probably wouldn't travel to Batavia or Arcade! I was hoping to get something going in the Buffalo-Niagara area! I have already noticed there are alot of Gardeners in this area! The place doesn't nessisarlly have to be outdoors or at a home. It all depends on what most of us decide on! A central located place we could all get to would be best...I would think. Maybe Cheektowaga! Or maybe we could even Rent a table out at the Super Flea Market and have it there and we could bring some extra plants to make a little extra cash??? Tables are usually reasonable outside...$15-$20. Now don't get the wrong idea here... these are just ideas running through my head! ...wayne

• faltered
    18 years ago

I think Garden Frog hosted because she has a lot of space for people in her yard plus lots of room for parking.

I'd be up for something a bit closer to the area- Cheektowaga would work for me. I know you can get a shelter in Town Park on Harlem Road, but not sure how much it costs or if you have to be a resident. I don't have any other ideas for public spaces.

But either way, if it's moved this year or still at Garden Frog's, I WILL be there! Just hope ya'll won't mind my poor selection of plants!!!!

Tracy

• magicman2u
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well now I wouldn't take anything away from Garden Frog or Anyone else but who says we can't have two of em? I mean if I was to put up Fliers in a few places and some people who Garden(but don't go on the forum) show up with some different type of flowers...that would be great! I know a gentleman on Walck Road in North Tonawanda that has a Thousand different plants! He has the whole front area designated to just Mountain plants! And also a cactus area in the back yard. He has been Gardening for 30 years! I also know an Italian lady on Rumbold Street in NT and she also has a ton of plants! These people are older and probably won't travel far but may have alot to offer! Again just another aspect I'm looking at!...Wayne

• tastefullyjulie
    18 years ago

Great, let's do it at their house ;)

• gottagarden
    18 years ago

There were several swaps last year, because Upstate NY covers a lot of territory. I think some people generously volunteered to host one, then forum goers picked which one was closest. Garden Frog was in Medina/Albion. I remember there were swaps in Rotterdam, ALbany, etc. Look on the exchanges page, it's all still there on page 1!

Tastefullyjulie - where do you live? How nice of you to volunteer!! I looked at your personal page, but it didn't give a hint of your town.

Garden Frog's place was nice because it was between Buffalo and Rochester, so both groups of people could come.
    But you could have one in each place.

I would rather have it at someone's home, if possible, than at a flea market. I suspect lots of 'strangers' at a flea market might want some free plants too.

April is a bit early, I usually can't identify my perennials at that stage. You might wind up with weeds :-)I'd rather it be late May or anytime in June.

Perhaps a new thread - who wants to host a garden swap? Where do you live?

Thanks for bringing it up.

• penny1947
    18 years ago

The way the weather is this year we could have 2 ft. of snow on the ground it April. Also those of us who only do wintersowing probably wouldn't have any plants to swap as so many seeds won't germinate until the temps really start to warm up and stay warm. I know we are all getting anxious to get out there in the garden. I just took some cuttings from my gartenmeister fuschias that are starting to take over my kitchen. I am hoping that they will root easily.

Penny

• tastefullyjulie
    18 years ago

Hi gotta garden,

I am in Lewiston so maybe it would be a good spot for the Northerners. Someone mentioned making up flyers and putting them around which I wouldn't be into if I hosted. I'd want to limit it to forum members and not random srangers. Just my $.02.

• mulchy
    18 years ago

I enjoyed the exchange at Garden Frogs last year, perhaps we should check and see if she is planning anything for this year. I like the idea of having it at a forum member house also. It gives us all a chance to visit and enjoy the day together. It was so nice last year!!!!

• garden_frog
    18 years ago

Hey folks! Sorry I was MIA!! :) Anika and work are keeping me super busy!! :)

I'm definitely up for hosting again this year for all who are interested. I'm planning on the same weekend as last year...which would mean June 3rd or 4th. Any preferences? I'll start a thread over on the exchange page so we can discuss dates and such.

As gottagarden mentioned, the reason we picked my house originally was because I was between Rochester and Buffalo so people from both areas could come and two becuase I have a ton of space (albeit very little shade!) If people want to do additional swaps, that's fine by me, but I'd like to keep up with my swap one way or the other because I love seeing all the friends from both areas! Plus, there are several of us from the in between areas!

Ok, I'll hop on over to the exchange page! Thanks for getting the ball rolling on this Wayne!

Tara

• penny1947
    18 years ago

Hey Tara!

We all understand that Anika must be keeping you very busy but it is good to hear from you.

Penny

• evans50
    15 years ago

I was planning a plant sale in mid May to unload some of my extras. I am in Batavia, and if people are interested in making it more like a swap/sale I would be willing to host it. If not, I am still planning on setting up a table in my front yard some time in mid may.

• gottagarden
    15 years ago

Evans50 - I would be very interested in a swap in Batavia! I suggest you might want to create a new post to discuss, because many people will not read this thread because it is so old. I am in E. Pembroke, so not far.

Here is a link that might be useful: my garden photo album

• genoprizebull
    15 years ago

I live in Akron and am willing to travel 20 or 30 miles to meet some of yous'.My real problem is having the time to do it.Whereever and whenever it is I hope to be there.
    Gene

• greenjay
    15 years ago

Greetings All , I have recently returned to the WNY area after a 20 year hiatus in NC/SC . Bought a funky little fixer upper in beautiful Cheektovegas . I would surely like to be kept in the " loop" so to speak on a plant sale/exchange . I've got a big blank slate to work with here for gardening . I have some ideas, and would love some more !
    At this point , I do not have much of anything to "exchange" but happy to purchase !
    Do you WNY gardeners get together much / at all ?
    Even tho no one knows me yet, I'd even consider hosting the exchange, i have a big yard, plenty of room for parking, and am right off Harlem road near the 33 , so i'm easy to find and get to!
    Feel free to say hello and introduce yourselves . Nice to meet fellow green-thumbers !
    Sincerely,
    Jay

• awalkinthegarden
    15 years ago

Welcome back to Western NY Jay! Nice to meet you. Good luck with getting your garden started. I have seeds and plants that I am more than glad to share to get you going.
    Linda

• greenjay
    15 years ago

Linda/ awalkinthegarden ,
    Many thanks, any and all help, and even just ideas will be greatly appreciated ! There's nothing really started here bed-wise at all . While I kind of like the whole " blank slate" thing, it can be a bit daunting too !
    I hope to meet you , and many of the other WNY gardeners in the near future ! What part of the area are you inj ?
    Thanks Again !
    Jay

• awalkinthegarden
    15 years ago

Jay,
    I am a "newbee" in this forum, hoping to learn from other "experts". It's hard to give/share ideas since I don't have a sense of the lay-of-the-land. Are you intereested in flower gardens or vegetable gardens?
    We live just about 30-40 minutes from where you are. Heard of Leroy? I have 6 perennial borders and a big veggie garden. We plant everything or try to any way.
    Let me know if I can be of help.

• cottagegardenwitch
    15 years ago

hi all...

just wondering if any decisions were made as to the plant swap. i'd love to meet some fellow local gardeners and exchange seeds and seedlings! please let me know, if i haven't already missed it.