Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
magicman2u

A few questions!

magicman2u
18 years ago

Hello all can't wait for spring! I was buying a few things the other day and i bought a few pots. My question is do I drill or poke drain hols in these? Now these are the textured syrofoam pots and one window box! No holes came in them. Another question. I bought seeds from e-bay and some are marked ...keep warm and moist! Can I winter sow these seeds? Well i already did some so I will find out but...when is is time to sow annuals and warmmer seeds! Well i hope sring gets here soon...thanks ,wayne

Comments (7)

• penny1947
    18 years ago

Wayne those styrofoam pots are more decorative and used to put other pots inside. Some of the sturdier pots that are sold at Sams (less than $10 for a really large pot) do come with a drain hole and a plug.

What are the seeds that you got from Ebay? I had some that were marked the same way and I had to sow mine in the fall as they were supposed to be sown as fresh as possible. Let us know what the seeds are and then we can hopefully give you the correct information on sowing them. I have sown most of my annuals except morning glory and zinnias but I will probably do those within the next week since it is finally starting to warm up a little.

Penny

• faltered
    18 years ago

Wayne: I bought a bunch of those larger foam pots last year. I just used a drill to drill a few holes in the bottom for drainage. It worked wonderfully.

Tracy

• penny1947
    18 years ago

Tracy,
    Did your pots hold up well? I was told that they break up. The ones I saw at Sam's were heavier more like hypertufa.

Penny

• faltered
    18 years ago

Penny: Mine were the really lightweight foam pots. I think I actually purchased most of them at JoAnn's with their 40% off coupons. They held up well all season for me. And right now are on the back patio overwintering, as I planted lilies in a few.

My only complaint is that they are very fragile. I planted glads in one and accidentally cracked it when I was trying to dig out the corms and bring them inside for the winter. But otherwise, they worked really well.

Tracy

• penny1947
    18 years ago

Thanks Tracy that is just what I was wondering about. I went to Sam's again yesterday evening to pick up some other thing s and I had to go look at the pots again. The ones over there are the heavy ones. They feel like stone but not quite as heavy that is why I thought maybe they were a form of hypertufa. I was going to get a couple since they are so much nicer than the plain pastic pots and the price is so good but I was on a mission and had to take care of business first. I may go back over this week end and pick up a couple since they are so big and the price is right at less than $10. DH was also with me and he doesn't think I need any more pots regardless what size they are LOL! I also need to get or make a nice sturdy new arbor this year. My cheapy one for Big Lots is not long for this earth.

Penny

• magicman2u
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well the pots are real thick like 1 inch thick and I believe they are styrofoam...their pretty light. I am just gonna drill 3 or 4 holes in each pot! I got them at Dollar General....6 bucks for the pots and 12 for the matching hugh window box!

• gottagarden
    18 years ago

I've had the lightweight styrofoam pots from Dollar General outside for 3 years now and they still look great. I drilled holes in the bottom of them and use a plastic pot inside.

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio