Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dirthappy

Things are sprouting

dirthappy
18 years ago

I took a walk around the yard last night looking for signs of life. The bleeding hearts are showing growth and the lupine and canterberry bells are waking up too. Most of the roses have little red sprouts on them but I think a few didn't survive. They show no green at all. They were all transplanted last year so I expected to lose a few.

Spring is truly here.

Comments (10)

• waplummer
    18 years ago

My snowdrops are on their last legs and some of the aconites are fading, but on others the bees were busy. My Cyclamen coum have been in bloom for weeks. A second flower opened on my Adonis vernalis and I have two Iris reticulata in bloom. The first of my daffodils opened yesterday and the Hellebores are looking better and better each day. Chiodoxa are starting to sprout all over the place and some Pushkinias are in bloom. The Vernal witch hazel and the Daphne mezereum are flowering. The buds on flowering quince are showing color as are buds on one of my rhodies. My trout lilies are starting to emerge as are my wild leeks. And would you believe I found a couple bloodroot up about a half-inch and my Trillium luteum is pushing up.

Dirthappy - where in Corning are you?

• dirthappy
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi. I'm just a little ways up Rt 414. Are you in Corning?

• waplummer
    18 years ago

Gang Mills - Woodland Park

• remy_gw
    17 years ago

Dirthappy,
    I'll have to look and see if the bleeding heart I planted last year is coming back. The one from the year before didn't. I'm wondering if its too moist all year in the spot I planted in.
    Are your roses grafted or own-root?
    Remy

• penny1947
    17 years ago

Remy I have one bleeding heart that is planted in an area that stays wet and shady almost all year long and it is taller than the other two that are in dryer sunnier areas.

Penny

• dirthappy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Most of the roses were bought bare root. The pink knockout and the red and white one ( bought at Massis and picked up the one without the tag) were potted. I do alot of online ordering so they start out bareroot.

• mulchy
    17 years ago

I saw on another post that you have plants in your greenhouse. how are you heating it? I have been using mine during the warm days and bring it back in at night. Soon I will put an electric heater in, but will wait for the temps. to rise some.

• dirthappy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Mulchy. I have 2 space heaters in mine. They both shut off at around 75, that took some time to get them adjusted. My electric bill is one I'll be afraid to see but hubby has been good on encouragement. This year is trial and error but I may keep it up all season and overwinter my favorites.

• remy_gw
    17 years ago

Penny,
    I hope this bleeding heart comes back. If its not the moisture, I don't know what it is. If it doesn't come back I'll try a different spot.

Dirthappy,
    If those knockouts were not grafted(own-root), they might still be kicking and sprout up from the ground. I think the knockouts are sold own-root, but I'm not positive.
    Remy

• lblack61
    17 years ago

Yes, things are sprouting...it's so encouraging!
    I have crocuses up and blooming (which is quite an achievement considering all the chipmunks, squirrels, and other rodents I have burrowing. I sweated and ached a lot by digging a trench, setting down netting and planting the bulbs in the netting. I'm so glad the effort paid off. I can tell they tried to get in there, because they have little holes around the area.)
    The daffodils and tulips are coming up, and I've got one little Iris reticulata that has bloomed!
    What a tease that warm up was the other week. Now I forgot what it feels like.

Sponsored
Fairfax Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars53 Reviews
DC Area's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Experts