Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
penny1947_gw

Something that you may not know about Scott's

penny1947
12 years ago

this story about the Scott's company that brings us Miracle-Gro is shocking:

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/business/2012/01/27/scotts-to-pay-4-5m-in-fines.html

For anyone interested, here are some of the brand names under the Scott's umbrella of products:

Scotts

Miracle-Gro

Osmocote

Ortho

KB

Scotts Wild Bird Seed

Morning Song Selection

Scotts Lawn Service

Round-up (exclusive distribution agreement)

Fertilig�ne

Evergreen

Substral

EcoSense

Celaflor

Nexalotte

Comments (15)

• gottagarden
    12 years ago

they KNOWINGLY sold bird seed that was toxic to birds!! For YEARS! So you buy birdseed to help your backyard flyers, but now find out you have actually poisoned the birds.

They had to pay $4.5 million for this debacle.

• penny1947
    Original Author
    12 years ago

They still have not cleane4d up their act. A good friend contacted them and asked about the seed now and he was told to make sure to wash his hands well after handling.

Does that tell you anything.....They would rather pay the fine and to do what is right.

• rosesstink
    12 years ago

Thanks for pointing that out. We don't buy their birdseed TG. I do buy Miracle Gro potting soil. Only because the brand I used to like, Peters, was bought out (possibly by Scott's) and the quality took a nosedive. What brand of potting soil do you all buy?

• penny1947
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I used to use Miracle Gro until I had problems with it a few years ago and when I contacted Scott's I got a really snotty reply. I use BACCTO Pro Mix now. They also make a regular potting soil but I don't like that either (too many large pieces of wood). The Pro mix is nice and fluffy and so far no unnecessary debris.

• jerome69
    12 years ago

i use the baccto also, it is the best i have found.mennes is the place to get it.

• penny1947
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Im buy mine at Menne's also which is only about 2 or 3 miles from my house.

• party_music50
    12 years ago

This probably explains why my plants have been dying when I've potted them with the Miracle-Gro potting mixes I've bought the past two years!!!! :(

That's it for me!!! I'm black-balling the company!!! AND spreading the word!!!

• remy_gw
    12 years ago

I use the Baccto mix also.
    Scott's is in cahoots with the Monsanto corporation. I don't support any of their products.
    Remy

• penny1947
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I was in Value Home center the other day and decided to see what type of bird seed they had. All they have is Scott's products right down to the suet cakes and it all had a chemicle odor. I am going to make a copy of the report I received from one of our banders and take it to the store manager and send it to their corporate office if necessary.

• party_music50
    12 years ago

I have never heard of Baccto. Can anyone tell me if/where it is available in the Utica-Rome area???

YEARS ago I used Premier Pro-Mix -- WONDERFUL stuff from Canada. I haven't seen that sold anywhere around here in FOREVER. All I see available here now is Miracle-Gro Potting Mix WITH additives. :(

• penny1947
    Original Author
    12 years ago

P)remier Pro Mix is also really good. If you have a particular local gardencenter that you use you might aske them if they can get either premier or baccto for you. If that doesn't work and you are coming to the Buffalo area there are several retailers that carry baccto here

You can put in a zip code to see if there is a dealer near you

Here is a link that might be useful: dealer locater

• in ny zone5
    12 years ago

I used 2 of those Morningsong Suet cakes, came in a package of 10 for $8 or so. I saw the smallest number of wood peckers, nut hatches and chickadees ever this winter, just threw out the remaining cakes. I just put one $1.50 cake out, and see now many more birds. I got what I paid for, low quality.

• penny1947
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I make my own suet cakes.
    Below is a recipe that one of our bird rehabbers uses so I thought I would share it here. It is almost identical to what I use and compared to commercial suet cakes costs pennies to make. I keep mine in the freezer and take them out as needed. I press the mixture into rubbermade sandwich keepers or if you have the plastic trays that the commercial stuff comes in you can use that as a mold and after you freeze the 'dough' just pop it out of the mold and wrap in plastic wrap or put in sandwhich bagss until needed.

--A 2 lb bag of yellow corn meal
    --About 2 large, heaping serving spoons of peanut butter
    --About 4 large heaping serving spoons of vegetable shortening
    --(We add avian vitamins only because we have them, nice but not necessary).

Mix thoroughly and adjust ingredients as necessary to make the consistency of a soft sugar cookie dough.

• party_music50
    12 years ago

Thanks for the locator info, Penny. When I search using my zip code it says there are no hits.

• remy_gw
    12 years ago

Party,
    If a nursery near you carries Michigan Peat products, they can get the Baccto products since that is who produces them. It wouldn't hurt to ask.
    Remy

Here is a link that might be useful: Michigan Peat Web Site

Sponsored
Central Ohio's Source for Reliable, Top-Quality Roofing Solutions