Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
penny1947_gw

Hummingbitf Migration in Full Swing

penny1947
12 years ago

The first one was spotted on Feb. 25th just off the coast of Alabama. They have been filling up the gulf coast ever since and are moving into Tennesee already. Here is a link to the spring migration map.

Here is a link that might be useful: Spring Hummer Migration Map

Comments (27)

• User
    12 years ago

I just put my hummingbird feeder up yesterday...just wanted to be early for the little things.

Thanks Penny!

• penny1947
    Original Author
    12 years ago

FayeCat,
    You are way ahead of me. I usually hang my first feeder out around the 1st of April but since they are moving northward a bit earlier this year I may hang one before April.

• lindalou
    12 years ago

will probably hang, at least one by beginning of april, also. thanks, for the update!! ;)

• penny1947
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I broke down yesterday (March 20) and hung a feeder out front and one in back after I saw a report in SW PA directly south of us and another report in the NE corner of OHIO. I might have to hang up my jumbo red Christmas balls too...just to help them find the feeders if they are close by on their way across the pond to Ontario

• penny1947
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Fist report for New York state....just east of Oswego!

• party_music50
    12 years ago

OMG. Thanks for posting, Penny!

FWIW, my hummers left very early this past autumn, so I guess it makes sense that they'd head back early this spring. I usually don't see them here until around May 10, but everything is running at least two weeks early -- if not six! I'll hang a feeder today, just in case!

• penny1947
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I now have three feeders up so far. We still only have one report in NY but they are all over Michigan, PA and Ohio so it is just a matter of time before they filter in here.

Penny

• Lauren1123
    12 years ago

another hummer in ny! looks like Malone, Plattsburgh, I have 2 feeders up, trying not to watch them to much, with the cold front moving in, and a low here of 28 on Monday, I wonder if they are going to hold off another week?

• penny1947
    Original Author
    12 years ago

They are filling in the downstate area. With the weather turning cooler again those feerders will come in very handy. The cooler weather may slow them down some but they are already heading into Ontario so as long as the wind is coming from the south, they will still keep moving

• penny1947
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The first NY report was from Marcellus and the second from Chazy so for anyone in those areas keep watching

• Lauren1123
    12 years ago

Its really astonishing to see how much earlier they are on the move, with the weather I shouldn't be surprised, but I keep going back to the older maps, and in my neck of the woods first reports were typically not until May, though I usually see my foy in mid April.
    East winds today, don't know if that will give coastal birds a push in? (I'm on the St. Lawrence) I'm just now learning about the spring migration routes for not just hummers, but Osprey and other migratory birds as well, Osprey have the similar paths, They mostly come up the coast, a few take the Ohio river valley, I know the same birds have there own routes, and typically go back to the same territories even returning to the same feeder on the same day every year, last year my first hummer was April 16th, just before our ornamental cherry blossomed, took me years to notice they were feeding from the blossoms, I have seen them feed from pine cones in early spring, and have read about them following yellow bellied sapsuckers in their northern most range, but I can't find a whole lot of info about their spring migration the sapsuckers that is. at any rate, I've got my eyes peeled, and the feeders filled!

• penny1947
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Lauren I have emailed you off list with a couple of links that you might enjoy.

Penny

• penny1947
    Original Author
    12 years ago

There is now a confirmed report in Oswego.

• penny1947
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Another confirmation from Alden

• rosalinda_gw
    12 years ago

Penny,
    Will the nectar freeze or will the sugar keep it from freezing? I am hesitant to hang out my glass feeders - maybe just stick with the plastic for now and only fill them part way. Any suggestions?

-Rosalinda

• penny1947
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Rosalinda and all,

If you use 1 cup of water to 1/3 cup sugar the nectar will start to freeze at 27 degrees. I never use more than 1/2 cup of nectar in my feeders this time of the year. You can also bring the feeder in at sundown and then put it out in the morning which is what I am going to do tonight. We could go down to 22 degrees tonight so unless the feeder is in a very protected area it more than likely will freeze.

I have also sent this to your email Rosalinda.

Penny

• penny1947
    Original Author
    12 years ago

For anyone in the Syracuse area there is a confirmed report.

• lindalou
    12 years ago

i hung 1 feeder out two days ago. hoping to see one, this week. i'm so cold this morning, i pity any of the little guys if they are out and about. will keep watching for my first siting. ;)

• jerome69
    12 years ago

i hung mine out yesterday(grand island) and are hoping to see them soon.

• penny1947
    Original Author
    12 years ago

You might just see your first one before I do Jerome. I have my feeders up and my red buckeye just waiting for some warmer weather to start blooming. Right now that puppy is all covered up to protect the developing bloom buds from tonights overnight lows..

• penny1947
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Several reports in Hamburg, corfu, Eden and Rochester areas May 1st and 2nd.

• penny1947
    Original Author
    11 years ago

also reports in Henrietta, and Perrysburg but nothing in Niagara county :(

• penny1947
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I lied. Three showed up May 3rd. around 4pm but they just stopped for a refueling and headed out early this morning so I am still watching....and waiting.

• party_music50
    11 years ago

I just saw a couple hummers north of Rome. yay! :)

• Lauren1123
    11 years ago

FOY ruby throat-ed hummingbird(s)! They say the watched pot never boils, to true. I had to stop looking for the lil' buggers for them to show up! now their are two, fighting over cherry blossoms, i have been trying hard not to watch the cherry tree in our yard to much, it is always the first thing that really pulls the hummers into my yard, yesterday i watched that tree like a hawk, nothing, no hummers, with the weather looking unfavorable for any big push in migration, I didn't have high hopes for today being the day, and their ya go, there back! YAY

• rosalinda_gw
    11 years ago

Hummers at the feeders on Sunday - nice to see them back.

I have never seen so many butterflies so early as I have this year. It has been a strange year with all the drastic weather swings.

-Rosalinda

• gottagarden
    11 years ago

Saw my first hummer yesterday!

Like Rosalinda, I've never seen so many butterflies so early.

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County