Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lblack61

Bulbs coming up!

lblack61
19 years ago

I took a walk around the yard this morning and see that various areas where I planted bulbs have green peeking out. I think they are probably all daffodils, although I'm hoping some might be tulips.

I'm looking forward to some outdoor color variations, the kind that Spring brings :-)

Comments (12)

• giniene
    19 years ago

I noticed 2 or 3 bulbs peeking out on Tuesday and was thrilled. Now with the 8 inches of snow we got Wednesday night into Thursday, I can't see them again. Just when most of the snow had melted, we got slammed again!

• penny1947
    19 years ago

My tulips are in one of these big galvanized washtubs (so the voles can't get them) and I have several that have just crested the top of the soil. I also have alliums coming up and my one daylily is coming up.

Penny

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    19 years ago

The snowdrops were blooming, and the crocus had started before this last snow. Most of the daffodils seemed to be poking their heads above ground. I don't remember which are the early ones, maybe the ones along the back walk. I haven't seen much evidence of tulips yet, but I know they are out there. I have these greiggi types that spread, and they are everywhere.

• hammerl
    19 years ago

The snowdrops are blooming. The crocuses made a dramatic appearance on Sunday (seriously, three straggly, independent gold ones when I left at noon, and a whole bunch of large striped purple and white ones when I got back at night). The daffs are about four inches tall, the hyacinths are about an inch and a half tall, the tulips haven't been seen, and neither has the glory of the snow.

• Dottie B.
    19 years ago

I noticed a few daffodils popping up this weekend. I have a new area that I planted a bunch of different bulbs in and they are still under about a foot of snow. I am tempted to shovel that area to give them a head start. Been getting some rain today, so hopefully more snow has melted. I long for signs of green lawn and more bulbs.

• faltered
    19 years ago

My irises are coming up slowly. No other bulbs planted so far. This will be my first try.

• gottagarden
    19 years ago

My first crocus bloomed this morning! Oh Joy! It's 58 degrees at 7 in the morning. I am so excited and can't wait to get out and play in the dirt.

Seeing everyone's posts, I need to buy some snowdrops this year, sounds like they are earlier than crocus. Nothing like the first blooms to get the spring garden juices going.

• hammerl
    19 years ago

Every time I come home, I suddenly have more crocuses blooming (The first blooms appeared on Easter.)Plus the daffodils and hyacinths are budded now, though short, and I can see the tips of the tulip leaves poking up. The snowdrops are still in bloom, too. My glory-of-the-snow, which usually is blooming with the crocuses, never showed up this year. Oh, well.

gottagarden, my snowdrops were up in February, and got dumped on with several inches of snow. They're tough as nails, just held onto their buds for a whole month until everything melted. I don't recall planting them originally, but they came up our first spring after we moved. Since it was a new flower bed, either I forgot I bought and planted them, or else they came in the soil with plants from a friend's house (they wanted to reduce flower beds so their daughter had play space, and I don't turn down many free plant offers), but regardless, they were the first thing blooming in the yard. I then moved a clump to the front yard. They seem to be spreading somewhat, as I now have two good-sized clumps by the back fence, one under the lilac bush in back behind the house, and one out front -- make that two, I disturbed the clump planting a hydrangea last year. Snowdrops always beat the crocuses to blooming by about two weeks, so if you get spring fever this is the bulb for you. I followed up with a good flush of crocuses for color, and now I have the only house on my street with flowers blooming.

• herbalbetty
    19 years ago

My crocuses opened up this morning. Oh joy!! Daffs are about 5 inches tall and buds are evident. Snow has finally melted on the south side of the house, still several inches on the north side.

• rouan
    19 years ago

My snowdrops are blooming too. What a treat, especially after all the snow we've had this year (although, not as much as last year!). My Winter Flowering Aconite is blooming as well. The yellow flowers are a cheerful sight, especially since my crocuses haven't shown signs of blooming yet.I planted the snowdrops and aconite last October. Next year, I am hoping they will spread out even more.

• hammerl
    19 years ago

Well, they were dumped on with several inches of slushy snow, but my bulbs bounced back... and my glory of the snow made a sudden appearance. Go figure. And here I thought the squirrels or voles had eaten the bulbs after all. Now if only the crocuses along the walkway would get the hint and start blooming like all the ones in front of the house...

• lblack61
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I think the arsenal I pulled out on the bulbs worked. I have tulips coming up (along with the irises and daffodils. I didn't realize voles didn't like daffodils. I could have saved some rocks, hotsauce, and moth balls!)
    I'm excited to see what colors I have in the tulips and irises as I bought mixes.

Sponsored
Buckeye Restoration & Remodeling Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Central Ohio's Premier Home Remodelers Since 1996