Return to the Upstate New York Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
best small tree for zn 5

Posted by sycaway66 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 10, 08 at 8:17

Hello, I am new to Gardenweb but already it seems to be a fantastic resource!! I have gardened for years but always at rental properties. I recently purchased my first home and am loving having complete garden freedom!!! I am looking for a small tree(30 ft or less ) to plant in my 6hr of sun, small backyard. I only have room for 1 tree so it has to be spectacular!!! Am looking for something with at least 3 season interest.
I have done some research and explored my local nurseries and so far I have come up with-japanese or korean stewartia, sourwood(some say questionable in zone 5), tri-color beech , heptacodium and 'oridono nishiki' japanese maple. Does anyone have any experience with any of these or any other suggestions? Help!! Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: best small tree for zn 5

Cornus kousa - Chinese Dogwood. Hardy in zone 5 and flowers longer and later than Cornus florida. It's bark is exfoliating with age. The ones by the woodworking building at the Erie County Fair in Hamburg exhibit this trait.
Mine set viable seed and was able to start new ones, thus saving a lot of $$$ - good for gifts for friends.
It has an vase shaped appearance in youth, older trees have a rounded shape. The ones at th Fairgrounds, unfortunately are sheared so they cannot exhibit natural growth habit :(
It is disease resistant and drought resistant, plus it will grow at a nice even pace - mine do.

o
RE: best small tree for zn 5

You might want to try the tree forum. There have been some posts on this in the past if you want to do a search of the tree forum.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Upstate New York Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here