Return to the Upstate New York Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Winter Sowing Question

Posted by fowlerjenn z5 NY (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 19, 05 at 8:48

Hi all, new poster here! I've been lurking for several months.

I haven't had a garden since I was a kid and helped my folks with our vegetable garden. DH and I bought a house in upstate (Greene, near Binghamton) and are moving there from Virginia next week. I intend to start a vegetable garden using the square foot method.

I have really wanted to try winter sowing, but was afraid if I started them here in VA where it has been fairly warm, that they would all die when we moved.

So here is my question for all you experienced winter sowers-Is it too late to start winter sowing seeds when I get up there? I want to do a few annuals for the flower beds and some vegetables. . ..

Thanks in advance-look forward to lots of info and advice!
Jenn

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Winter Sowing Question

• Posted by Kareen z5 NY Renss.Co. (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 19, 05 at 10:17

Hi Jenn ,
Welcome to the forum and to the great Northeast. You can winter sow as long as you have to wear a sweater outside in the eveings. When it is warm enough to take the sweater off, plants that need stratification won't germinate after that.You can spring sow any seeds that wouldn't need stratification which should work fine for your vegetables and annuals. Good luck and please keep us posted.

Here is a link that might be useful: Our pond and gardens

o

Kareen left out one minor detail...in the evening it is cool enough for a sweater, sweatshirt or light jacket all summer long up here, LOL! Seriously, you will find it much cooler here than in Virginia. I have been here 15 yrs and I still wear a sweatshirt and pants in the evening most of the summer. But I also agree with Kareen and as soon as you can plop those seeds in containers and put them out the door.

Penny

o

Thanks! And I'm not worried about the weather-although I've been spoiled for quite a while now, I grew up in Maine and have a good idea of what I'm getting myself into.

Jenn

o

• Posted by Kareen z5 NY Renss.Co. (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 21, 05 at 8:52

Well, Penny certainly gave me my morning chuckle. That is they way my parents are when they come in from Florida....you would think it was winter.Sooooooo....let me amend my recommendation to Jenn.....when you see most of your neighbors out in the evening without sweaters it s safe . Or just ask one of us once the weather gets warm.

Here is a link that might be useful: Our pond and gardens

o

OK Kareen,
I can accept that LOL!

Penny

o

I live in the Binghamton area and I still have a foot of snow in my backyard. You should have time to winter sow when you get up here. Looks like the weather will be getting warmer next week (high 50; low 30's). That should give you some indication that it's still pretty chilly here.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Upstate New York Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here