Return to the Upstate New York Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Unusual request!

Posted by CATS39 z5 Upstate NY (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 18, 05 at 9:08

Hi All!

I posted this to the Lawn Care Forum and thought maybe one of you Upstater's knowing my situation might be of help and hope one of you experts can with this question?

I'm planning to take down some drywall in a bedroom that measures 8X12 (and from one wall only).

The question is, I have an addition on our home that was done before we purchased. I would like to build up one exterior side that measures 15' lineur feet in order to slope rainfall away from the foundation and grade out away about 4 to 6 feet.

If I were to dig down about 12" and fill the space with the drywall and then grade with the extisting dirt would the drywall make a good fill for that purpose.

It seems a shame to truck in a small amount of dirt and then truck away and have to put the drywall in some already filled to capacity Town landfill.

Thanks in advance.

I live in Central New York just outside of Syracuse and we do receive a great amount of rain and snow.

Jim

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Unusual request!

Jim
I don't know about the effects of drywall in the soil but I do know that it won't hold up to moisture. It will disintergrate like chalk.

Penny

o

A few years ago there was a story in the news about some place in New Jersey where a builder had used drywall as fill. Even though it is called gypsum-board, it has a lot of other things in it, and really belongs in a landfill.

If you were around here, I'd offer you some nice, clean rock.

o

Send it off to the dump where it will disintegrate to almost nothing. Use only clean fill around your home, making sure you use a decent topsoil cover.

o

• Posted by CATS39 z5 Upstate NY (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 18, 05 at 17:47

The Lawn Care Forum advised against the use also. I'm glad I asked.

Thanks again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Upstate New York Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here