Return to the Upstate New York Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What to do with my lettuce?

Posted by faltered Hamburg NY Z5/6 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 28, 06 at 9:09

I ordered some seeds back in January and received a few free packets to try. One of which was lettuce (not sure of the kind- I don't think it said).

I sowed these indoors a few days ago and they have sprouted. I have tons of lettuce all over! Guess I should have sowed with a lighter hand.

Anyway, my question is this: when can I plant these out? I'm not sure when is too early as we can still get frosts up through May. When do you all plant your lettuce out?

Thanks!

Tracy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What to do with my lettuce?

• Posted by remy 6WNY (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 28, 06 at 17:38

Tracey,
I grow mine in pots. I already seeded them. I have the pots sitting on my porch. The lettuce starts to grow before last frost time that's why I planted the seeds already. I wish I could tell you exactly when. Maybe someone will have a better answer, but I can post when they start to sprout.
Remy

o

I am hardening off some seedlings now, to plant later this week. Here is some info from the Cornell Hort. Department home gardening website:

"Transplants: Sow in 1-inch cells 3 to 4 weeks before transplanting outside. Harden seedlings by reducing water and temperature for 3 days before transplanting. Hardened plants should survive 20 F. Space crisphead transplants 12 inches apart in rows 18 inches apart. Space other varieties 6 to 10 inches apart in rows 12 to 18 inches apart."

-Caroline

o

Thanks Remy & Caroline!

I think I'll start hardening them off once they get a little bigger. I don't even have true leaves on them yet, so I have a few more weeks to go. Guess I'm just getting antsy!

Tracy

o

• Posted by remy 6WNY (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 31, 06 at 12:40

Tracy,
With this warm weather, mine started sprouting yesterday!
Remy

o

It's April 13th and I live in Upstate NY south of Syracuse. Can I plant my lettuce seeds yet?
My blog has pics of some of my seedlings started indoors. I didn't start lettuce tho'.

Here is a link that might be useful: Musings at Windyridge Blog

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Upstate New York Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here