Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tracywag_gw

I'm I the only one?

tracywag
19 years ago

I was out this weekend in my little Binghamton yard planting peas, lettuce, onions and chives. I have to get more spinache and brocolli and that will go straight in too. My husband thinks I've gone round the bend, but I've always put my peas in on St. Pat's.

Anyone else direct sowing yet?

Comments (10)

• penny1947
    19 years ago

Not me. It is still too wet here. I am doing all my seeds via winter sowing.

Penny

• kareen
    19 years ago

Snowy and wet here too.....looking forward to a nice 65 degree day .

Here is a link that might be useful: Our pond and gardens

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    19 years ago

We usually plant peas around Tax Day, not St. Patrick's Day. It's a much more reasonable time around here. St. Patrick's Day worked great in Philadelphia, but we lost a few weeks when we moved here.

• AbbeysDad
    19 years ago

I still have 1-2 feet of snow in the garden...I think I'll wait awhile. Your husband knows you better...I just think you're a tad early!

• Carol_from_ny
    19 years ago

In many ways I'd think your planting now is the same as winter sowing execpt your skipping the container and going straight into the ground.
    I'm not a big fan of the weather in the Binghamton area in March. It's VERY muddy. Seems anything you do outside this time of year makes a big mess BUT if your up to it and it works for you then I'd do it.

• susanzone5 (NY)
    19 years ago

My garden's still frozen. It's a treat when I can plant in March.

• bcday
    19 years ago

You're not the only one. I just went outside with a thermometer to see what the soil temperature is. ItÂs 39 degrees at a depth of 4 inches. At the surface, where the seeds will be, itÂs 46 degrees. That will of course go down again at night, but it would do that in a container too. OK, time to get seeds in the ground, there are a lot of things that will sprout at those temperatures. True, the soil is wet, but it was worked up last fall so it would be ready for early spring direct seeding and I donÂt have to dig it again. The rhubarb is starting to come up too, little leaf knobs showing everywhere. Happy spring!

• nyvoices99
    19 years ago

I wish I could see my garden:( Snow go away!!!!!

• tracywag
    Original Author
    19 years ago

The west half of my little raised garden was ready to go, I had put a thin layer of leaves on in the fall and black landscape fabric over it. I lifted the fabric and just about swooned at the beautiful black dirt (the worms must have been quite busy!) I just couldn't walk away from such inviting dirt, so I planted the cool stuff in. The east half doesn't have snow (other parts of the yard do) but definitely isn't ready to be touched. I'll put the warm stuff in there after I get it warmed up. Between being raised, south facing and backed on the north with a stockade fence, I can get away with some stuff I wouldn't try somewhere else.

Snow coming tonight. Sigh.

• lblack61
    19 years ago

I did some direct sowing in the fall (poppies, gallardia, rudbeckia), but the rest has been WSed or sowed indoors.
    I'm starting peas (Wando and Sugar Snap) in Park's BioDome. I will probably WS a few also and keep them in a shady part of the yard so I can have peas throughout the summer.
    I'm afraid to do too much direct sowing because of the voles in my yard. Plus, I have a lot of birds that would probably spot anything I direct sowed in the front yard.