Return to the Upstate New York Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
It's amazing what all is growing!

Posted by ridgetop01 z5 CNY (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 23, 12 at 9:29

I've never seen everything grow at the same time like it is right now in our area (Chittenango/Syracuse)! Violets burst into bloom a day or 2 ago, daffodils are in their glory, hyacinth also, forsythia and nanking cherry are blooming together just since yesterday. Fritillaria has sent up a huge mophead (this plant is new to me last year) that I staked and have high hopes for. Lungwort is in bloom, and primrose. Roses are leafing out, dracunculus vulgaris is starting to leaf, Solomon's seal is coming up, petasites are in flower - it's just so weird, everything at once. Usually there's a slow progression, but this is a wild and jumbled chaos. It's fun, but weird too, and very hard to keep ahead of it all with the yard work so as to support all this growth!!!

What do you have going on in your gardens that's different this year?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: It's amazing what all is growing!

This is crazy weather, a little scary even. Just waiting for the cold snap, of course i waited all winter and it never happened, i am zone 4, and my garden is in part shade, so things pop up a little later in my yard, but the crocuses are all ready on the decline, roses, and elderberry have leafed, Lilac have broken bud, Trillium, Bugsbane, Solomon's seal, hardy geraniums, bleeding heart, blue flag iris, Day Lilly's, and Soap wart are coming in strong, Oriental Lilly's starting to break through! Lupines have leafed out, and I have a lovely Sedum, angelina I think its called, a groundcover that turns a lovely red orange through the winter, is all going back to green, its such a tough plant, i left it in a window box over the winter, and its come back beautifully. I planted primroses yesterday they're doing well so far! My husband works in a vineyard, and I know he has concerns about early bud burst, with the cold front that's about to move in, we have noticed the spring migrants are early this year as well. The Osprey that nest in the Winery are back, herons are here, peepers have been going strong for two weeks, it is fun, but I almost feel like I'm not ready yet, so much work to do!

o

My Helleborus has been blooming now for about 2 weeks and people have stopped by to ask what it is.

My Aesculus pavia (Dwarf Red Buckeye) is getting ready to bloom for the very first time. I have waited 4 1/2 yrs to seer this tree bloom. Now I am hoping that the drop in temps won't destroy these early blooms. Below is a link to a photo of one of the branches with the developing blooms clusters.

Here is a link that might be useful: Red Buckeye developing bloom cluster

o

Did your buckeye make it, penny1947? It's very pretty!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Upstate New York Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here