Return to the Upstate New York Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sure sign of spring: first slug!

Posted by Tracywag Z5 NY (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 31, 05 at 10:48

UGH! I was clean up a flower bed yesterday and found a big fat, slow, slug. Snip.

And so it begins...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sure sign of spring: first slug!

• Posted by hammerl z5-6 Amherst NY (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 31, 05 at 11:12

I went through all last summer, a rainy, cool summer, boasting how I didn't have ANY slugs. Sure enough, the dog ran into the back flower bed two days ago, and when I called her in, I found a small slug (a petite one-inch long dark and disgusting one)on her foot when cleaning her off. Ack.

o

Yuck...slugs already? I'm afraid to look...good thing I just bought more Sluggo.

o

Awww man. I'm not looking forward to fighting the slugs again this year.

Where do you guys get your Slug killer stuff? I can't seem to find it anywhere. Maybe I'm not looking in the right places.

o

I bought Sluggo on eBay. It's safe to use around pets and won't harm the environment. I just more last week.

o

My local garden center stocks Sluggo in all sizes - I buy it by the gallon. Needs to be redone every couple of weeks.

o

yea.. they are out... I was also afraid to look, but as I was removing some leaf mulch.. I found them. As long as they eat/decompose my dried leaves, they are welcome.

As much as I hate slugs, I can't make myself use sluggo, because it starves them and they die after several days. I try to leave a 'shelter' place for them (a board for example) and in the morning drop them in water with soap. I hope it kills them quickly.
At the HVCC Garden Show, I bought a copper tape (made by Safer), and I'll see how this works.

Nice weekend for slugs...

Anne-Marie

o

Yesterday I had the first mosquito buzzing around me.

o

Mosquitos, fleas and slugs...would the world suffer if they went extinct, lol Well ok...slugs and mosquitos feed other critters so they do serve a purpose. :)

o

Last year I used a piece of copper tubing that we had left over from hooking up the icemaker on the refrigerator. I used it to encircle my seedlings after planting them. I didnt notice any slug damage around those plants though I did see the slugs nearby. I quickly removed them with a stick just in case.

Penny

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Upstate New York Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here