Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
booberry85

Chuck Hafners - Syracuse area

booberry85
16 years ago

Does anyone know when Chuck Hafner's will open? All I can find on their site is that it opens in mid-March. I've been chomping at the bit!

Here is a link that might be useful: Chuck Hafners Farm Market & Garden

Comments (15)

• doggies7
    16 years ago

Ohhhhhh! Someone else who enjoys Chuck Hafner's as much as me. I keep asking and no one I have spoken to knows when they will be open. If you do find out please post on here and I will do the same. My husband and I just purchased a new home and will need to do lots of gardening work :). So...I can't wait for spring and for them to open so I can get started - spring fever already!!!

• dkotchey
    16 years ago

I've never heard of Hafners! Is it worth the trip from the Binghamton area to go up there? The website shows a pretty nice selection. I'm interested in evergreens and flowering shrubs this year. How's the selection for those?

• booberry85
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I love Chuck Hafners. They are located in North Syracuse. They do have a good selection of plants shrubs & trees. They have employees that are helpful too. If you're coming all the way up from Binghamton, I'd stop at Dickman's in Auburn too. It would be a long day for you, but fun!

Here is a link that might be useful: Dickman Farms

• Dottie B.
    16 years ago

I believe they open on Friday, 3/14. I think it's on the sign out front. I didn't pay attention today when I was out there, so I will look tomorrow if I am over that way. I can't wait until the new greenhouses are open, but that won't be until next year sometime.

• Dottie B.
    16 years ago

Today is there first day being open! They won't have too many plants until next month, but they have some trees, shrubs and easter flowers right now.

• booberry85
    Original Author
    16 years ago

WHOOH! Thanks so much! I really want to check out their seeds. There's a few I haven't been able to find at the box stores, but I remember Chuck Hafner's having a good selection. It'll be nice to look at "green things" even if I can't plant them yet.

• doggies7
    16 years ago

adina72 - thanks for letting us know that they are open. I will definitely have to make a trip over there this weekend. Now we only need for spring to come so that we can get out there and plant all the wonderful things we buy from Hafners!!!

• Dottie B.
    16 years ago

Sounds like Hafner's may be a good place to meet each other...LOL. We could even have lunch across the street at Jake Hafners. I will be attending the Rochester Flower show on Saturday, but maybe another day could be arranged sometime.

• theraglady47
    16 years ago

If you are coming from Binghamton to syracuse then be sure to get off 81 in Lafayette NY and do to Watson's Garden center. I drive over 1 hour each way two or three times a year to go there. I do like Hafners, but Watson's is the best in Central Ny. When you go, tell Art or Carol Brenda sent you and make sure to check out the brugmansia. They started my addiction to those plants. I bought two there and now have about 150 different ones.

• Dottie B.
    16 years ago

Watson's is awesome! I am attending Art's class on the Hypertufa Toad Abode on saturday and will probably do another class in April. Art is just the best! I haven't met Carol yet.

I took a few pictures when I was there last fall if anyone wants to look at them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Watson's Greenhouse Pics

• roadlsstrvld
    16 years ago

If you are coming from south of Syracuse, might I suggest forgetting about driving all the way to Hafners and instead stopping at Little York Plantation? It is located in Little York(just north of Homer, south of Tully)...get off the Prebble exit of Rt 81, head south on Rt 11 for a few miles,it is on the left. It opens today, Friday April 4th. They always have very knowledgeable staff and a huge selection of plants, trees, etc.

www.littleyorkplantation.com/

• dpinker1
    16 years ago

Hi everyone. Hafners has a great selection, I've purchased many plants there. If you plan to visit also do a stop at Ballantyne Gardens. They are located at 4825 Hopkins Rd in Liverpool and probably only a mile from Hafners. I've purchased some different plants there, roses (very nice), herbs and ferns. It's a small place but you will find them very helpful. They belong to the rose society and have classes during the year on Saturday mornings. If you need any more suggestions please let me know as I am very familiar on what's around here.
    deb
    ballantynegardens.com

• srrn
    16 years ago

I love Hafners and Dickmans too, have been stiffed by Watson's though- signed up at the CNY garden show for a home visit, Carol W never got back to me after our initial meeting, even though we left it that she would call me.

• chrisltropical
    16 years ago

Have to agree. Hafners is nice.

I'm spoiled. I could just about walk to Hafners from my house. Only go maybe twice a year. Most plants I buy arenÂt found in NY. If you're heading to Hafners, you should also stop by Gravinas Nursery while you are in the area. It is only about 1 miles north of Hafners on Buckley Road. Gravinas carries a smaller selection of plants, many of which arenÂt sold by Hafners.

When is Chuck Hafners moving the whole operation to the new site across the street? I'm thinking spring 2009...

• chrisltropical
    15 years ago

Chuck Hafners has a great selection of plants this spring. Even uncommon plants like Musa Basjoo and various pretty broadleaf evergreens.

Looks like other local nurseries are starting to carry plants that.... in the past... you could only get mail ordered. For example Ballantyne Gardens is selling three F Rufa....the hardy clumping bamboo.