Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cats39

OT: But an interesting Bald Eagle sighting

cats39
18 years ago

Hi All!

I know this is OT but I also know that most Gardener's have a unique connection with nature. Most animal and insect life, especially when the animal or insect isn't infringing on the garden can be as interesting to them as watching shoots coming from the ground and flowering. But I experienced something this morning that I think many of you would be interested in, and was very exciting to witness, especially coming from an era of time when one of the chores as a kid was to get out the DDT can and spray the Victory Garden, never knowing the harm that followed.

Oh, and by the way! With all of the snow on the ground the birds are really enjoying the feeders. I had my first 2 Cowbirds this morning.

I believe I may have witnessed a rare display of Bald Eagle intelligence this morning at 08:30. It happened just 2 miles east of Bridgeport NY at the NYS South Shore Boat Launch at Oneida Lake. I had just finished walking the dog in the large parking lot and was preparing to drive away when I immediately noticed the outstretched wings of a broad wing. It wasn't until I saw the white under sided tail that I realized it was a male BE. It was descending from at least 2 hundred feet to the newly formed shoreline ice shelf in the bay area. Because of its circling descent I knew it had seen something on the ice 2 to 3 hundred yards away. When it landed it attracted 2 or 3 Crows.

When the BE took off several more Crows came along and pitched in on an aerial dogfight. It was then I noticed the food the BE had in its talons. I had already stopped the car, rolled down the window, turned off the motor and sat silently hoping the dog wouldn't bark. Because of the strong westerly wind, low and behold the BE was flying right directly at me into the wind for lift and eventually came to perch at the top of a tree less than 100 feet away. It was unbelievable as its outstretched wings flapped trying to get a hold of the limb with the wind being strong.

But what happened in the next couple of minutes was even more amazing as 4 Crows also perched and cawed and 3 others kept diving for the catch that the BE held awkwardly in its grasp. I couldn't tell what it was holding but big enough that the BE had difficulty perching every time the Crows dove in as it had to outstretch its wings to keep balance.

Finally and what turned out to be the highlight was the BE took off in glided flight over the ice and to open water. It stayed very low with 7 crows close behind. Then it stopped abruptly, hovered about 5 feet over the water just a few hundred feet away, outstretched its talons away from its body and dropped the food.

One by one the crows left and the BE kept flying away. After all of the crows were gone the BE circled back to the same spot and made several slow hovering passes were it dropped the booty. All I could figure was, whatever was let go must have sunk to the bottom and I don't think the BE counted on that happening, (as much of an Eagles diet comes from floating dead fish). It must have known the Crows wouldn't make that type of entry to the water, and it knew it could come back without any bothersome (if the food remained floating). I also figured the distance between land and where the BE dropped the catch was far enough away that the BE would have had time to get away without being attacked.

At least that's what it appeared like what was happening.

It may be common, but it sure was and exciting rare sight for me.

Comments (7)

• Dottie B.
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

What a wonderful experience....I am as excited for you as you are for yourself! I feel such exhilaration when I experience nature up close and personal....my non-gardening friends usually look at like I've grown three heads when I tell them a story...they just don't get it, I guess. I really enjoyed your telling of the story and thank you for sharing with us....I thoroughly enjoyed it.

• remy_gw
    18 years ago

Seeing a bald eagle is very exciting! I've only seen them twice and they were just flying, but pretty low so I got a good look. The first time was in the Florida Keys(Lower Matecumbe) and the other time was at the north end of Grand Island where it is swampy. I almost drove off the road both times, lol.

• laurelin
    18 years ago

I've been thrilled to see bald eagles along the Susquehanna and Chemung rivers in the Southern Tier. When I was growing up, they were endangered, and did NOT live anywhere near where I did (in northeast Ohio, then in Corning, NY). To actually SEE one in MY "neighborhood" was a real thrill.

Laurel

• gottagarden
    18 years ago

I've seen them in Wisconsin, but never around here. Good for you! Hopefully it'll make babies and eventually they'll make it over to my neck of the woods.

• cats39
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Laurelin and All!

I read about the BE that frequents the Park Diner near the downtown area in Binghamton. Have you ever tried seeing one there? I fished the Rockbottom Dam as a kid and can easily understand why this area would be such a great place for a BE to forage for fish.

Although I have a boat my son and I came across a BE while fishing from a shore area last year. We fished there at least once or twice a week and at first it would fly away and then we realized if we carefully came upon the area it would stay.

We could get within less than 150 feet away at times and although their diet is more of the dead fish variety I swear it would sit there thinking, "How in the heck are these guys catching all of those Fish?"

One day it flew about 20 to 25' over my head. My son couldn't believe it. I told him it was checking out the tackle I was using :>)

• penny1947
    18 years ago

I saw one just a few houses away from me back in the tall pines overlooking a field. We are close to the Canal and just down the road from the Klydell wetland so we have some very intersting birds fly over us quite frequently. Usually they are a little too high up to recognize.

penny

• oldroser
    18 years ago

Saw one when at a dog show in Staatsburg, NY on the banks of the Hudson some years back. It had something in its talons and was flying from the river to its nest up on a hill. The whole show stopped dead in its tracks as it went by maybe 80 feet overhead. They are nesting near the Hudson now. My sister, who used to live on the New Meadows inlet in Brunswick ME, used to have them nesting nearby - in fact they also nested up on the old drawbridge towers in Bath.