Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
remy_gw

i have sprouts!!!!!!!!! : )

remy_gw
18 years ago

Did you hear me? lol.

My garage door fell down. I've got a guy coming to repair it or see if I need a new one. Anyway, I'm out there moving all my winter sowing bottles away from the door(I know the repair man is going to think I'm nuts)and I see some green. At first I think its just mold/moss. Then I realize there are sprouts in lots of the containers. So I ran back inside to type this! I am crazy, lol. So I don't know what types of sprouts I have, but some of the containers are full of tiny sprouts!!

I have to go back out and finish moving things. I'll let you know what's come up later : )

Remy

Comments (32)

• remy_gw
    Original Author
    18 years ago

That's odd. I typed the title in capitals, but it changed to lower case. Anyway, I was shouting, lol.
    Ok, I've got:
    Double Clarkia
    Hot Pink Poppy
    Chocolate Flower
    Cabbage
    Bachelor Buttons
    Dianthus
    a mystery container
    and for the grand finale... Drumroll....Penny are you reading this,lol,
    RED YUCCA!!!!!!!
    Penny, I did do the fists in the air when I saw the sprouts of the red yucca.
    Oh, and I just saw a bee at a crocus in my lawn!
    Remy

• penny1947
    18 years ago

Remy,
    I am so happy for you but my red yucca hasn't sprouted yet! In fact I have NO SPROUTS. I may have to move my containers where they will get a little more sun. They have been on the front porch for my convenience. I guess I better move them now for their convendience.

I am so jealous!!!!

Penny

• faltered
    18 years ago

Congrats Remy! I'll have to check my containers when I get in tonight. I checked them Friday and had no sprouts. Maybe today is the day!

Tracy

• penny1947
    18 years ago

I have checked mine twice now since reading Remy's post and still nothing.

Penny

• remy_gw
    Original Author
    18 years ago

LOL Penny, you crack me up.
    I still can't believe I have sprouts before you! Especially since its all your fault I started this madness anyway : )
    Its got to be the shade. I'm sure you moved them already!

Tracy,
    I hope you see sprouts. If not it will be any moment now : )
    Remy

• mulchy
    18 years ago

HI Remy,
    Congradulations on your sprouts!!!!!! I must admit that I'm sproutless!!!!! Been working outside all day and I am whipped!! I hate being whipped and sproutless!!!!! Maybe tommow I'll have sprouts. I do have a back up, lots of indoor sprouts!!!

• penny1947
    18 years ago

Mulchy I am with you I have lots of salvias inside that sprouted and some cupheas and impatiens. I transplanted my first salvia to its own pot this morning.

No Remy I didn't move my containers yet. I am probably going to wait until tomorrow or Wednesday. to do it now that it is getting more seasonable. I do have roots starting on a couple of cuttings of coral honeysuckle that I put in a pot and left out all winter. THose have been out in the most unprotected part of my yard all winter long but I want to see my little Yuccas sprout!!!

Penny

• shimla
    18 years ago

WooHoo!! Way to go, Remy - congratulations! I haven't even finished sowing yet LOL! This weekend was the first chance I had to be back to pots in a long while. I noticed today that my bachelor buttons that I did in Feb have sprouted. I'm zone 5 so it's just a matter of time for everyone else!

• magicman2u
    18 years ago

My sprouts include

Bachlor buttons
    Lupine
    Alysmm
    Chinese forget me nots
    Fever Few
    Sweet Annie
    Shasta Daisy
    Poppy

I also have Crocus Blooming
    Holly hocks with new growth
    Sedum coming up
    Lupine with new growth
    Peony coming up

I also have many plants that remained green all winter!
    I have yet to check many of my containers because the lids crack and break when I remove them....I have already determined that next year I will not use 32 oz styrofoam cups.

• remy_gw
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well, I'm glad a few others got sprouts too! If I'm not mistaken, the temps are suppose to be fairly mild for awhile, so we should be overflowing in sprouts in a few days : )

• husky004_
    18 years ago

Hey Remy-congrats, I didn't do any winter sowing this year, but hope to do some spring stuff, I got lots growing inside though!!!!

• fairydancer
    18 years ago

I've got some sprouts too. I started seriously checking last week, and each day I find at least 1 or 2 more containers that are starting to pop! I've got:

clarkia
    poppies
    aubrieta
    dianthus
    phlox
    flax
    veronica
    candytuft
    cupid's dart
    sweet william
    godetia
    lupine
    silene

I imagine by the weekend with temps in the 50's and 60's, they be bunches more! So exciting

Deb

• faltered
    18 years ago

Woooo! I have sprouts too!!!!

Remy inspired me to check on my winter sown containers when I got in from work yesterday. And I have sprouts! My double white hollyhocks and gaillardia fanfare & goblin are up. Can't wait to see what starts popping later in the week.

Yay for sprouts!

Tracy

• remy_gw
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Husky, I know you got a jungle going on inside just from the Brugs alone, lol.

Deb and Tracy,
    I'm glad to see you have sprouts too!

It's a wonderful day again. I'm going to plant my peas. The guys are here putting in my new garage door. It looks way better than the old one, so I guess I'm glad the old one fell on my husband's head, lol. A ladder did catch part of the door, so my husband didn't get hurt.
    Remy

• penny1947
    18 years ago

Well I moved all my wintersown containers to the shelf outback where they will get the morning sun and afternoon shade. Hopefully they will start sprouting. I can't complain since most of what I have sown this year are tender perennials such as cannas, Brazilian salvias and stuff like that but I was sure hoping I would have a yucca or two by now. HMMM!

Now the things I sowed inside because I wanted to make sure I did have sprouts of these plants have gone wild. I have 9 Canna Indica out of 12 up. I just repotted 16 rare Salvia Subrotunda that aren't even available to the trade yet (YES!) I have 3 more Hybrid Savia 'Teresa' up and potted which are rare. I have 3 Baja Fairy Dusters up, 3 Salvia guaranitica Black & Blue's up and repotted and 14 Fuchsia 'gartemmeister bonstadt' well rooted and potted up (from cuttings). I also have a bat-faced cuphea and a cuphea ignea and two flats of Salvia coccineas that I haven't gotten around to repotting yet. So I guess I can't complain about not having any sprouts. I have been repotting these puppies for the last two days almost non stop.

Penny

• remy_gw
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Penny,
    You have some really cool things growing in the house! I did start my tomatoes, peppers, and eggplants inside, and I have sprouts of those, but definitely not as exciting as your flowers. After starting all the veggies inside, I don't have enought room for flowers too.
    So with all those flowers, no complaining for you ,lol : )
    Remy

• Dottie B.
    18 years ago

That is so exciting! I am happy for you!!! I don't have any wintersown seeds sprouting yet, but I am going to move them to a sunnier spot this week. I've got lots sprouting indoors, so I am happy too. I think Spring is really here!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: My Garden and Craft Projects

• penny1947
    18 years ago

Remy,
    I have to provide food sources for my hummers first. Then if there is time I work on tomatoes peppers, etc. I have just been too excited to get these other uncommon plants sown and germinated. I am still waiting on Chilean Glory vine too. I heard that can sometimes take a while to sprout. I don't have any of my tomatoes started yet. I guess I better think about starting those now too. If I am not too selfish with some of these babies I may just have a few at the plant swap.

Adina, ws containers got moved out to a brighter spot today. They were getting some sun on the porch and they would evenutally sprout out there but now they will get some warmth too to speed up the germination.

Penny

• husky004_
    18 years ago

Well Penny you got me beat i think. I have impatiens, lisianthus, spanish flag (mina lobata), daturas, african daisies, ipomopsis sprouted inside so far, gotta drag the canna's out from under the house and get them started...brugs are thriving as are the passifloras and tropical hibiscus...will start the veggies soon and spring sow all the easy annuals...darn i wish i had a greenhouse.

• penny1947
    18 years ago

Oh Husky my passiflora has been growing like crazy for the past month! I wish I had a greenhouse too. It would be so much easier than having to take care of all these plants inside. My ipomopsis hasn't sprouted yet but mine are outside.

Penny

• cats39
    18 years ago

Hi All!

I've got sprouts also. This is the first time for winter sowing. Isn't it just a bit early for them to be sprouting?

Something more amazing! At least I think it's amazing. I had a Black Swallowtail Butterfly cross through my yard this afternoon. Now isn't that a little early also?

Jim

• magicman2u
    18 years ago

Well 1 weeks ago I moved my containers from the lawn staging area to my small $39.99 portable greenhouse. It sits outside next to the house..getting sun from 7am til 1pm. I removed all the lids completely. I open it daily and mist the flats and containers. I also had to unzip it a little yesterday because it was pretty warm inside there! Everything seems like it is doing fine for now. I just don't want to lose any plants! If anyone has any tips on my procedure I would be greatly apperciated! In the mean time ..sprout away!...Wayne

• remy_gw
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Jim,
    That is so cool that you saw a butterfly! Not as exciting, but I had a bee buzzing around my head yesterday. I think it was mad at me for trying to get to the same flowers as it!
    Remy

• laurelin
    18 years ago

I have quite a few sprouts now, too - and bees! Very encouraging, and it's been a great week for yard work.

Laurel

• mulchy
    18 years ago

I finally have some sprouts!!! was beginning to wonder, It was a great week for garden work!!!

• remy_gw
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Laurel, it has been a great week for yard work! I do find the bees out so early odd.
    I hope everyone got to enjoy some of it.

Yea! Mulchy!!

Penny,
    I got cuphea seeds in a trade a little while back. I didn't plant them. I figure next winter I could plant them. I don't know a thing about cuphea. I take it they should be started inside. Do they need a long growing season to bloom?
    Remy

• penny1947
    18 years ago

Still no sprouts on wintersown containers....hmmm what is whith my stuff this year?

Remy, This is the first time I have tried the cuphea from seed. I don't think they need a long growing period. I had a picture from a guy I had send seed to I think he sowed the seeds in Feb and has a huge plant now. I just sowed mine a couple of weeks ago (after I saw his picture)and I have two seedlings that I transplanted yesterday into their onw pots. One is a Bat-faced cuphea from seed from my plant last year and one is cuphea ignea from a trade. I will have to let you know how they do over the season since they are a first from seed for me.

Penny

• Dottie B.
    18 years ago

I have sprouts now too. So far just the Wild Lupine, Prairie Sun Rudbeckia, Dame's Rocket and Siberian Wallflowers. The bees were all over the crocuses yesterday too. I have never seen so many bees this early (that I can remember anyway). I was able to get all my pruning and spring clean-up done this past week and even started putting out some of the garden art and structures. This week, I guess it's back to reality a little bit. :(

• penny1947
    18 years ago

I FINALLY HAVE SPROUTS!
    I just went to see how my ws containers were and to make sure that if the wind picks up they won't blow away. Then I noticed something in one of the containers I hadn't seen before. My first thought was that one of my little squirrels has planted something in one of my containers some how but I was wrong...my lupines have sprouted! So far that is all that has sprouted and it is good too considering we will be getting more winter weather this week. I think it will be short lived though as my wild jewelweed has sprouted and I have had bees and wasps flying around.

yesterday i planted all my croscosmia bulbs that I forgot to plant in the fall. It is probably a good thing as I lost a lot of stuff this winter without the snow cover to protect things.

Penny

• remy_gw
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Yea! Adina!!
    I'm being optimistic . I don't think the cold will last too long: )

Yea! Penny! Lupines. Seems to be one of the first sprouters for everyone. I didn't plant any. I'll have to save seeds this year to do some next winter.
    I went and checked my cuphea seeds. They are saved seeds of the variety 'Summer Medley'. I remember now that I looked up a photo and thought they looked neat. So I traded for them not knowing a thing, lol.
    Remy

• penny1947
    18 years ago

Remy I would go ahead and sow your cuphea seeds now.

I agree with you Remy I am thinking positive on the weather.

Penny

• mulchy
    18 years ago

Penny,
    Glad you got sprouts, I got a couple more containers that sprouted.

Sponsored
Industry Leading General Contractors in Ohio