Return to the Upstate New York Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When should I plant asparagus crowns in NYS Z4?

Posted by Bloomville z4 NY (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 25, 05 at 12:55

Hi. I am in the Northern Catskills in zone 4. Last summer I created a raised bed using the "lasagna garden" layering method of peat, compost, manure, etc. The bed is intended for asparagus crowns, which I plan to plant this spring. In zone 4, what is the best time to plant the crowns?

My situation is a bit complicated in that I reside in NYC and go upstate mainly on weekends. I need to coordinate the delivery of the crowns with one of the weekends I am going upstate so I can do the planting. Trying to figure this timing out ahead of time so I can get those crowns in at just the right time.

The asparagus sellers I spoke with said late April was a good time to plant the crowns. I suspect that is a bit soon for zone 4, where spring really doesn't seem to hit until mid or late April, but what do I know? I seek enlightenment and appreciate any assistance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When should I plant asparagus crowns in NYS Z4?

Asparagus crowns go in as early in the spring as the ground can be worked. You don't want the ground boggy from snow melt though. I live in the very northern Catskills in zone 5 (we must not be as high up as you are) and planted mine 3 years ago in early April.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Upstate New York Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here