Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
penny1947_gw

Early signs of Spring

penny1947
14 years ago

I saw my first flower buds and all new growth this morning on my Helleborus and the Eastern Columbine is coming up. With the snow melt in the front yard I am itching to get out there and do some clean up but I am waiting a little longer to do the spring cut backs as I know that it is still a bit too soon to count on the temps staying this mild. The back yard and the deck are still snow covered but with the milder temps the next few days hopefully most of that will melt.

Penny

Comments (14)

• mulchy
    14 years ago

{{gwi:357714}}
    We saw 2 robins in our back yard this morning, still so much snow!!! I want to see this again!!
    Mulchy

• penny1947
    Original Author
    14 years ago

OH Mulchy that is just beautiful! I don't blame you. If my property looked like that I would be dying to see it too!

The snow in our front yard is all gone...AMEN! I actually have been helping the snow melt in the back by shoveling it out into the sunny areas of the yard and the sunny sections of the driveway. This morning I shoveled it all off my deck which stays shady most of the day and out into the back yard so the rain/ sun can finish melting it. Now there are just a few places where it is packed down and will take a little time to melt but at least I can see the light (I mean green) at the end of the tunnel!

Penny

• mulchy
    14 years ago

Hi Penny,
    Yes we have lots of room for flower beds....
    We have lost alot of snow in the past few days. I have crocus flowering, looks like some daff. are breaking ground, but it is so wet!!! I walked around today and the ground is so wet. Saw and heard a few flocks of geese go over the past two days, that's a welcome sight!!!

• misskimmie
    14 years ago

Yesterday I went outside to look for spring. I found it! This is what it looks like in my yard.

Mulchy, your garden is lovely.

Kim

Here is a link that might be useful: Little Homestead in the Village

• herbalbetty
    14 years ago

Mulchy, your gardens are fabulous!

• mulchy
    14 years ago

Herbalbetty, Thanks for the nice comment on my gardens. I worked outside all day, my dh took the chainsaw and cut my grasses down and I had the pleasure of cleaning them up! I must admit it felt so good to be outside again, it's the first day for me, one more day of sunshine and we will be back to rain again!!!

• gottagarden
    14 years ago

Great garden mulchy!

Spring is here! here's what's blooming now:
    - crocus
    - snowdrops
    - violas
    - hellebores

I'm so excited with the warm weather and to have REAL flowers blooming. Once those crocus are up, it really is spring!

• herbalbetty
    14 years ago

Mulchy, I haven't been able to get to my gardens yet cause there is still 1-2 feet of snow out there! We've had a warm week and expect warmth again today, so hopefully I can get to some of the trees closest to the house and pick up the many branches that came down in the Feb storm that dropped 6 feet of snow on us. C'mon spring!

• penny1947
    Original Author
    14 years ago

My Helleborus is now in full bloom and it sure is a welcome sight. All the snow has melted and I hope we don't get more this week with the cold front coming through

Penny

• rosalinda_gw
    14 years ago

The crocus is up in the white garden, and lots of things are showing swollen buds and leafing, but we have several more freezes coming, so I hope they don't suffer damage. The last of the snow disappeared around the 18th. We had an incredible week of warm to hot weather, but this next week is supposed to get colder.

I am ready for winter to be OVER.

-Rosalinda

• penny1947
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Rosalinda,
    I am with you! I am ready to move my plants out to the porch to get them out of the house and to get the beds ready for planting and see what has survived. By the way my Penstomons look great!

I did see my first robin of the season the other day about a mile from the house. Now I am waiting to see one in my yard!

Penny

• bonnie_ny
    14 years ago

Tonight I heard the spring peepers for the first time this year. I LOVE them!! I don't have them at my house, I have a CD I can listen to while I fall asleep. I just started blogging about gardening last week and hope to put up some pictures of my spring flowers that I expect to open this week when the temps climb into the 70's!! Can you believe it?? 75 degrees for April 4th predicted!! LOVE IT!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Here a Garden, There a Garden blog

• mulchy
    14 years ago

We had had a pair of bluebirds for the past 3 days, they seem to be checking out the houses!!!!! I hope they stay!!!!

• penny1947
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well the rest of the week will be beautiful but then another cold front will be moving in. Hopefully it won't last. I am gradually moving some of the more hardier seedlings out to the porch.

Peeny