Return to the Upstate New York Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When do tulips/daffs bloom in CNY?

Posted by phylrae z5a/centralNYS (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 16, 06 at 14:43

I have only been growing flowers a few years now, and only recently double daffodils and a few tulips (Mayflowering and Angelique). I am in the Syracuse area. I know that this weather has been very weird...so I know it's hard to guesstimate, but on average, about what time would be the earliest I should expect them to bloom? Thanks! :0) Phyl

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When do tulips/daffs bloom in CNY?

It all depends on the variety you planted. Some bloom early, mid and late season. Last year my daffies started blooming mid April. Don't have tulips yet (too many voles).

o

• Posted by phylrae z5a/centralNYS (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 18, 06 at 16:49

Thanks for the info Adina! Phyl

o

Phylrae,

I live in the Binghamton area. Usually I have daffodils by the second week of April, and tulips starting a week or two after that. I'm hoping for an earlier show this year; I've already got crocuses blooming all over the place. Microclimate makes a big difference, too - I have one clump of daffodils that always blooms two weeks earlier than the other daffodils, because it's right next to the house and gets warm morning sun in the spring.

Laurel

o

Laurel,
Thanks for letting me know about when things bloom in Binghamton. Can't wait, can you? :0) Phyl

o

• Posted by aurore Zone 4/5 NY (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 21, 06 at 14:47

My daffs bloom about mid April and my tulips about the first of June. It does depend on the variety. Double flowering tulips usully bloom later for me than singles. Dwarf variety tulips will bloom earlier. The mini varieties of daffs could bloom with my crocus. Basically the bloom season starts with my snow drops(which are blooming now) followed by crocus, followed by daffodils, followed by grape hyacinths and tulips.

o

• Posted by remy 6WNY (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 21, 06 at 15:40

Phyl,
My Iris Reticulata are blooming right now. The blooms are quite big for such little plants! They are tough too. They will bloom, snow covers them, it melts, and there are the iris looking like nothing happened. I have them planted near the door area since I'm not roaming the yard much this time of year. I'm glad I planted them. They are such a pick me up, and for other people too. A garden lady just stopped by the house with seeds today and she exclaimed, "Oh my! You have flowers blooming!"
I realize I veered from your topic of Tulips or Daffodils, but I thought you might be interested in growing the iris in the future : )

o

Remy - I am very glad you mentioned that...will have to get some of those irises!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Upstate New York Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here