Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
madorley

digging peones

madorley
19 years ago

when is it safe to move peones? how deeply should I dig? How far out from the crown? any other peone saving info? They have probably been in their current spots many years.

Lisa

Comments (8)

• tracywag
    19 years ago

I am not an expert, but while you wair for a more learned response, let me tell you about my peonies! They had been in the same spot for years wehn we bought htis house and my husband hated them there. I didn't want to give up on perfectly healthy plants, so I transplanted them. From one large clump I came out with tons of plants. It seems that ever little crown section thrived. Odd thing is, I moved them to the north foundation of my house, about this time of year. That was five years ago, and it looks like they need to be divided again.

All this leads me to believe that peonies are not as fragile as some would have you believe. Or maybe I've inherited some wierd mutant shade-loving, neglect seeking variety that I should market.

Good luck,
    Tracy

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    19 years ago

Peonies are usually moved in the fall. The roots are quite brittle, so it's almost impossible to move them without breaking them off. I've heard they can also be moved now, while they are still dormant.

I'd start digging about a foot away from the peony, and try to get down at least a foot or two. After you get it up, then it can divided into pieces. Each piece should have at least one growing eye (a red bump that is going to turn into a leaf stalk). Replant them with the eyes an inch or two below the surface.

• faltered
    19 years ago

I dug up and moved some of my peonies in the fall. I only got one flower out of all of them last year. I've read that they need at least a year or two to recover from the move.

• Carol_from_ny
    19 years ago

Peonies need at least a year or two after being planted or transplanted before they will bloom/rebloom.
    IF I'm planting some I try to do it in the fall ( too many other gardening chores in the spring and summer)BUT I see in some of the stores they have them out now so I assume you can plant them in the spring too.

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    19 years ago

Peonies that are out now are potted plants which are fine to plant any time. A few years ago, I found some bareroot peonies for very little money. Those were only available for a relatively short time in the fall, and the nursery told me the leftovers would be potted up and sold for much $$$ in the spring.

• madorley
    Original Author
    19 years ago

thanks for all the responses! Since I have sooo many clumps, I went ahead just now and dug one. It was scary. there were many red tips, but the tubers(?) snapped left and right. I went ahead and planted my harvest in a well drained bed where the soil is already workable, I swear. I do have only one white clump, so I want to experiment several times before I move that one. I will do it in the fall, if digging goes better. here in Greene co, near The river, we have clay atop slate and bricks. Apparently this was a brick yard, so digging anything up involves a prayer that the stones under the clay release roots.

• oldroser
    19 years ago

They are best moved in August and September and if done carefully, you'll have bloom the following year. Very important to plant shallow - OK to have the tips even at ground level. If deeper than an inch or two or if the ground settles so they are lower, they will never bloom.

• madorley
    Original Author
    19 years ago

three weeks later and the peonies look good after being moved, but, I'm not going to expect alot of flowers.