Return to the Upstate New York Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cutting back a butterfly bush

Posted by jerome69 6 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 14, 13 at 15:06

am going to cut back my butterfly bushes in the next week or so.is it to early for the buffalo n.y. area?and what kind of fertilizer would be good for them?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cutting back a butterfly bush

I just did a quick search to find this:
http://www.gardenseeker.com/pruning/pruning_buddleja_buddleia.htm

which seems to indicate that earlier is better and March should do fine. I'd do it now because you're a zone warmer than me and I've already got willow budding up here.

I didn't search for the fertilizer for you. :p I just wanted to warn you against fertilizing too early! you don't want to send it into a growth spurt when it should still lay dormant in this colder (freeze-prone) weather.

o

Yes do it now, I always cut mine back in Feb..and I wouldnt fertilize now either. Good Luck

o

I wait till I see leaf sprouts at the base of the bush and/or along the stems, and then cut back to that. A late heavy frost can cause die-back if I prune too early. It may also depend on what type of buddleia you have. Some are hardier than others. Mine does better when I wait.

o

Like susan, I always wait until I see new leaves coming out and I prune it right down to the new growth at the base. It is nearly the middle of April and mine haven't been pruned yet. I am just now starting to see new growth on mine this year. We are also going to have another short lived cool snap and rain over the week end so I am thinking that I may be able to cut them back the first part of next week
Penny

o

I didn't cut mine back , it was green so I left it.... and it is leafed out to the top. Not sure which kind it is but it was a 6 inch stick last year , got it for 6 dollars and now it's taller than me. Couldn't believe how it grew so quickly.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Upstate New York Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here