Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dkotchey

Going to Buffalo - where should I go visit?

dkotchey
19 years ago

I'm going to Buffalo next week to see Plantasia. We're making a mini vacation out of it since. We'll be in the area for a few days.We're hoping the weather is nice enough so I can bring me kids over to Niagara Falls for one of the days.

I'm looking for some fun things to do as a family (and any nurseries and/or garden centers that might be worth checking out). I see there's a Science Museum, the Botanical Gardens and zoo (if open). How are these places? Any suggestions of other places we can go? I have a 7 year old and 5 year old.

Thanks

Comments (10)

• penny1947
    19 years ago

I believe there is a Butterfly Conservatory in Niagara Falls, Canada for starters and the Canadian side of the Falls is much more scenic than the American side.

Penny

• Carol_from_ny
    19 years ago

There's a Aquarium on the Canadian side of Nigara Falls. It's not huge but it's a nice visit if the weather isn't behaving itself.

• hammerl
    19 years ago

If you're referring to Marineland as the aquarium on the Canadian side, it's closed until May 21. However, there is the Aquarium on Whirlpool Street on the American side (http://www.aquariumofniagara.org/) which is open year round. I haven't been there since I was five, so I can't offer feedback (I'm sure things have changed in 30 years.)

The Buffalo Zoo recently changed its hours due to county budget cutbacks, so be sure to double-check its hours if you go. It's one of the oldest zoos in North America. Work is (was?) being done to add new, modern exhibits. Some of that work is done, some of it just got put on the back burner (see budget problem.) They have a new river otter exhibit. The zoo is open Wednesdays through Sundays from 10am to 4pm. Some of the older exhibits do, however, have a more, um, victorian feel to them.

The Convention and Visitors Bureau has a nice list of things to do, broken down by type. See http://www.buffalocvb.org/Attractions_0.html for details.

Nurseries... on Niagara Falls Boulevard (but not near Niagara Falls) at Robinson Road in North Tonawanda is Menne Nursery, which, in season, has a nice collection of more unusual perennials and a nice spread of annuals. Seeing how it's March, and it's snowing out, I'm not sure what they'll have other than house plants and nursery items like pots, and of course seeds.

The Botanical Gardens would be a nice breath of spring air. Their page is linked from the CVB page cited above. I think their spring flower show goes through that weekend.

If your kids are budding history buffs, take them to Fort Niagara in Youngstown (north of Niagara Falls) for a tour of an actual fort that predates the War of 1812 (which was fought in the area.) If not, there's a carousel museum in North Tonawanda, Museum of Science in Buffalo, Historical Society in Buffalo, a children's museum in East Aurora, toy town museum (also East Aurora), and a host of other things of that ilk. See CVB page for links and info. (I have nothing but great things to say about the CVB, who helped us out getting area info for a conference we hosted at the university some years ago. They are very helpful and have a well-organized site. They even link to things on the Canadian side.)

If you go to Canada, be sure to bring ID for you and the children.

Good luck.

• robt3006
    19 years ago

My family and I are local to The Niagara falls area and I always have had a good time talking them to the power authority in niagara falls.You can use a search and get more details but your kids can do inter active stuff like pedal a bike and see electricity being produced and they have a really cool camera that you and your kids can watch guys fishing in the gorge in surprising detail.There is also a lot of saftey info for kids and parents about high tension wires.I always thought a person had to touch a power line to get hurt this is not true.It has to do with humidity and other details.On the plus side this is all free.Hope this helps Rob

• gottagarden
    19 years ago

We take our kids to the science museum. It's very old, and has some great stuffed animals, etc. Nice display on local flora and fauna. Right now they have a great exhibit called "Springs and sprockets" or something like that with whimsical creations made of springs, pulleys, etc. Kids LOVE it. Press the button and "people" play instruments, ride bikes, etc. (I liked it too. If you ever wonder what to do with old metal garden junk, this will give you lots of ideas.)

Have a great trip!

• gottagarden
    19 years ago

I forgot, there is also a Richard Scarry Busytown exhibit at the science museum now that is just a big playroom for kids. Play with balls and suction devices, play store with shopping carts, etc. My 4 year old loves it, so your 5 year old probably would too. 7 years old might be getting too old, as it's really aimed at younger kids.

• faltered
    19 years ago

If you go to the Canadian side of the falls, I would highly recommend the Aviary. It's right next to the Rainbow bridge. It cost us $14 each to get in, but there was an internet coupon when we went last summer. The birds are beautiful, there are a few waterfalls inside, as well as tons of plants. A lush, tropical setting. Would be great to go during this cold and snowy snap we're having.

• bscully
    19 years ago

2 words- ANCHOR BAR! The ORIGINAL chicken wing place, bring an appetite and an extra napkin. Oh yeah, and if you want something landscape like to do- bring a shovel!

• bignews
    17 years ago

I am testing to transplant my bamboos in Washington DC to cooler areas such as Western New York and Baffulo area.
    This morning, while walking on the street, I saw some bamboos growing in the front yard of a house on East Delavan Street in Buffalo. I talked to the owner, Howard, he told me that the bamboo leaves will become brown in winter, and grow back green in spring and grows very well.

This is obviously much better than bamboos in Boston, MA, as the bamboos there would die out in winter. I saw some growing in Harvard Univ near the Chinese East Asian Institute, but in the winter, the bamboos would die out.

Howard told me there are only a few houses in Buffalo have bamboo growing, and all are transplanted from him.

He is willing to give me some.
    It made my day!

• jannie
    17 years ago

Be sure to visit The Anchor Bar on Main and Best St. in Buffalo. Besides the famous wings, they have great Italian food, very family-friendly.

Sponsored
FineLine Kitchens, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars81 Reviews
Award Winning Kitchen & Bath Design Center Serving the DMV Area