Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrconran

who else who does canning?

mrconran
16 years ago

Anyone else here can veggies from their garden? I have been doing it a few years now. I have canned green/yellow beans,onions,potatoes,peaches,apples,cherries & venison. I had to buy the fruit though. I used to can my hubbards untill last year but the dept of ag says it is not considered safe anymore so I freeze them instead.

Comments (8)

• remy_gw
    16 years ago

We do a lot of canning! My husband makes sauerkraut. I can tomatoes, hot peppers, salsa, tomatillo salsa, pickles, zucchini pickles, blackberry jam, apples. Though I lost my tree in the Oct. storm 2 years ago. I have a new apple tree, so it will be awhile until I have apples again. I used to do different things with the apples besides in syrup like apple sauce, and spiced rings. I tried hot pepper jelly this past year. I've attempted grape jelly though I made grape glaze, lol. Not everything works out the first time. : )
    Remy

• gottagarden
    16 years ago

We make lots of spaghetti sauce, tomatoes, relish, applesauce and blackberry jam all from the garden. DH makes the sauce, which is absolutely fabulous.

How do you can onions and potatoes?

• booberry85
    16 years ago

ME! ME! Me too! I'm into canning. I'm a water bath canner, no pressure canner yet. So I can a lot of spaghetti sauce, salsa, pickles, relishes, and jams.

Remy, don't feel bad about the grape glaze. I overcooked grape jam one year and made grape roofing tar. It wasn't my first time making it either.

I hang out here a lot in the summer & fall:

Here is a link that might be useful: Harvest Forum

• mrconran
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I remember my mother water bath canning. I have only used the pressure cooker. I lost my tomatoes last year to frost, I just had to many pokers in the fire. Hope to can corn as well this year.

• remy_gw
    16 years ago

Boo,
    Lol! "grape roofing tar." You make me feel much better now : )

MrC,
    I only have a water bath canner, so I freeze beans, sweet potatoes, and whatever other veggie I may have grown for the year like last year I grew Dinosaur Kale. I really need to buy an extra freezer.
    Remy

• misskimmie
    16 years ago

I Do! I do a some tomatoes and/or sauce, pickles, and jam. I do water bath . I also freeze beans, winter squash, stuffed squash, green peppers, herbs, berries and sweet peas and corn if I have it. I also make a GREAT herb infused vinegar to give as Christmas gifts. Today, I will pickle some mushrooms because they were on sale.

kim

• mrconran
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I can't wait for spring to get the gardens started again. I am also hopeing to try canning come fish this year. I have canned a venison stew with potatoes carrots and onions and that turned out very well. I havn't tried making jams or jellies yet. I did make apple & peach pie filling though.

Mr Bill

• amazingrace
    16 years ago

I canned for the first time last year. Unfortunately, I had to buy the veggies as I didn't have a garden. This year I am planning on putting in a garden. I did can tomatoes, spaghetti sauce, blueberry jam & blueberry syrup (yummy on vanilla ice cream), raspberry jam, pickles, and salsa. It was a lot of work, but the results were sure worth it.

Sponsored
Fairfax Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars53 Reviews
DC Area's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Experts