Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pjalst_gw

Mulch cost

pjalst
18 years ago

This will be my first time buying Mulch. Can anyone tell me what the going rate is for red cedar mulch per yard in the Albany NY area?

Comments (9)

• penny1947
    18 years ago

I can't tell you the cost of mulch but I will post the following email that my husband received at work last week:

>

I don't buy mulch myself but if you do I suggest reading the info on the bags in hopes of seeing where it comes from and as stated above, if it is really cheap or not a well know brand, keep walking.

Penny

• gottagarden
    18 years ago

A yard of mulch is 27 cubic feet, if you want to convert to bags.

I don't know about Albany, but near Buffalo I can pay
    * $35 yard for double shredded mulch at the big mulch company - good stuff
    * $13/yard for mulch from the municipal yard (NOT sewage mulch)
    * free sewage mulch
    * free municipal mulch (NOT sewage) if you load it yourself. I'd rather pay for a loader than spend hours shoveling it in.

Based on Penny's email above I certainly would NOT buy mulch from Walmart. They don't care if they give you termites.

• tastefullyjulie
    18 years ago

Hi Penny,

There's a website called Snopes.com that researches the validity of the bulk emails that go out warning people about this or that. I checked and they seem to believe this one isn't true.

As far as mulch cost goes, you may want to check with your town before you buy. My town delivers mulch for $20 a truckload made from all the trees and branches they pickup throughout the year.

Here is a link that might be useful: snopes

• penny1947
    18 years ago

Thanks Julie,
    i had forgotten about Snopes. I do normally check them for all the stupid stuff that goes around through emails. It didn't dawn on me with this particular email since it came from my husband's place of business and since I grew up in Louiisana and lived on Guam for 3 years, i am familiar with these termites and it did seem credible because of the fact that they are having to dispose of these trees that were downed during Katrina.

It is still a good idea to be at least somewhat familiar with the product you buy.

Penny

• gottagarden
    18 years ago

Tastefully Julie - what town do you live in? I want delivery for $20 truckload!

• tastefullyjulie
    18 years ago

LOL, Lewiston. We didn't get it last year because the year before last it was really hot and it burned all my babies up!!! But last year we spent so much on mulch that we are going to get it this year and mulch before we plant so that it cools off (if it's hot again)

• tastefullyjulie
    18 years ago

BTW, it used to be $10 until gas prices went up, argh

• penny1947
    18 years ago

OK, I just got the low down on the mulch email from the LSU Dept. of Agriculture and Forestry. They have issued a quarantine on all wood in certain parishes after Katrina because of these termites. Wood debris from the quarantine parishes cannot be moved out of the infested area without a plan of treatment. They are also saying to be aware of who you get your mulch from and make sure that it is a reliable company. If you receive mulch that is contaminated, you should report the company to LSU Dept. of Agriculture fr violating the quarantine.

SO in one sense it is spoof but not so much so that it can't happen.

Penny

• fairydancer
    18 years ago

Last year I got mulch delivered from George's on Troy Schenectady Road in Latham. I didn't get red cedar, but I think the prices were almost the same. Delivered, it was around $75 for 2 yards. The minimum they would deliver is 2 yards. I was told that was a pretty comperable price. I think it was definitely worth it. It was really pretty stuff - no weeds - and the 2 yards went a whole lot farther than I though it would. I've got 4 new beds this year....I'm going to get 3 yards this year!

Deb

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler