Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lblack61

First Time WSer has SPROUTS!

lblack61
19 years ago

I don't think it's sunk in entirely (maybe because I've been dealing with seedlings indoors...maybe because I had a lot of faith in Trudi's advice and experience), but I've got SPROUTS!!!

They are in a juice container that I WSed Feb 7 with English Wallflower seeds. There are two clusters of VERY GREEN sprouts-- one has a couple, the other has a lot, like maybe five or so.

I'm so excited...but I feel like Miss America when she doesn't quite believe they called her name. I really didn't expect anything this soon! Those things have only been outside for a little over a month!

But you know what? They were one of the first containers I decided to set at the south side of the house. I think that made a difference! :-)

Comments (14)

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    19 years ago

How are you planning on getting them through next winter? Or are they an annual variety? I've always wanted to try wallflowers, but tender biennials always sounded a bit tough.

• Anne_Marie_Alb
    19 years ago

Congrats, lblack! I completely relate to your excitement. English Wallflower was one my first to sprout when I started to winter sow 3 years ago--along with lupines. And YES, Mad_Gallica , they will overwinter just fine planted in the garden to bloom in 2006.. No problem.

Again, congrats, lblack! You have so many more to come along.. Keep us posted,
    Anne-Marie

• penny1947
    19 years ago

COngratulations on those new babies!

I planted wallflowers last year Mad and they are still quite green. Wintersowing does make for hardier plants.

Penny

19 years ago

In that case, I may try some next year. I'm not sure I've ever seen them except in pictures.

Keep me posted on how they do.

• lblack61
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Mad,
    I'm glad other Anne-Marie an Penny answered your questions, because I didn't have a clue! The only thing I know about wallflowers is they looked pretty in the picture and folks here said they were winter-sowable. It's AMAZING how healthy the seedlings look!
    I checked my containers again this morning and I have Mustard Spinach seedlings popping up and the Lupine and Zucchini are germinating (cracking the seeds and popping out little heads).
    I'm excited!

• kareen
    19 years ago

Congratulations Lblack,
    Just enjoy the fun....it is a great feeling.
    Mad, I had purple hyacinth bean reseed last year....I would never have believed it if I hadn't seen it but the original phb was wintersown.....just makes a darn hardy plant.
    Also, all that I get from Trudi is to dump all the rules and push the envelope...I have tried more of that this season.
    Kareen

Here is a link that might be useful: Our pond and gardens

19 years ago

Why shouldn't it reseed? In my volunteer garden one of our worst weeds is white petunias. We've been planting a few hundred of them every year for the last ten years, and developed a serious seed bank.

BTW, I've seen enough transplanted Long Islanders come up here and fall flat on their gardening faces to know YMMV. They have absolutely no idea what -15F for a winter low, and a last frost date of June 1st really means.

• dkotchey
    19 years ago

Kareen - What time of year did you winter sow the Hyacinth Bean? I just purchased some and was wondering if I could WS it now or wait until warms up a bit. Thanks!

• kareen
    19 years ago

HI Dkotchey,
    I believe I started the original Hyacinth Bean in early April. It was from that one that I had the reseed the following year. Kareen

Here is a link that might be useful: Our pond and gardens

• lblack61
    Original Author
    19 years ago

That's good to know about the Hyacinth bean. I have a packet I've been holding onto to WS.

I have more sprouts to report! :-) Two types of Lupine that I WS have sprouts: Tutti Frutti and Russell Hybrid Mix. The TF was WSed on Jan 11 and the RH was WSed on Dec 21.
    I'm so excited. I didn't get any Lupine last year from the seeds I sowed indoors (although I did dump the failures outdoors...so I might get some from that). Hopefully this year I'll have lots.
    I've also got one type of cukes sprouting, Mustard Greens, and Mesclun Salad Mix. I sowed all of those around the mid to end of February.

• lblack61
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Add Red Oakleaf to the sprouters! Just checked and there they are, popping out their little green leaves :)

• lblack61
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I Wsed both French Chamomile and German Chamomile and the German Chamomile has sprouted. I wonder if the French version is a more tender variety?

• Anne_Marie_Alb
    19 years ago

lblack, did you sow your Chamomiles at the same time?? sometimes, it is a question of depth, too.
    Congrats on your new 'babies'!

I'll add malope, lettuce, salvia 'marble arch', calendulas 'Pacific beauty' to my list. I still have some containers under snow that I don't want to disturb.

Anne-Marie

• lblack61
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Anne-Marie
    I sure did...I put them in two different plastic juice jugs and then put them in a plastic bag together. I wonder if the difference is similar to that of English Lavender and French Lavender. We will see.
    And I checked this afternoon and I have more sprouts:
    Dianthus
    Candy Tuft
    Green Oakleaf Lettuce
    Bibb Lettuce
    Winterbor Kale
    Blue Curled Leaf Kale
    It looks like I'm going to have lots of greens this year!

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations