Return to the Upstate New York Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cooperative extension plants

Posted by lauriefree z4.5 NY (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 14, 06 at 19:28

I'm in the Albany/ Saratoga area and I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience with bareroot and other stock from the extensions. In lieu of that, do you have any little-known gems of garden centers to share?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cooperative extension plants

• Posted by kareen z5 NY Renss.Co. (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 14, 06 at 21:21

I have tried some shrubs and have had pretty good luck with most. Helderledge farms in Voorheesville area is not to be missed but pricy. Don't forget the garden club plant sales....real bargains and some unique plants at these usually. They begin usually Mothers day weekend.

o

Laurie - I'm going to order some Norway Spruce transplants and some compost from the Saratoga Co. Soil & Water Conservation District.

Their booklet/order forms are in post offices and here and there. Phone No. is 885-6900. The office is in Ballston Spa, 50 West High St. Orders have to be in by April 3rd. This will be a first for me, so I can't give an opinion.

Carol

o

Quite a few years ago my husband and I ordered white spruces and later balsam fir from our Soil Conservation District,and the trees were very good. We lost a few due to an eager lawnmower,but none due to poor trees. They are now about 40 feet tall, and healthy. I would recommend their trees any time,and the price is right.

Nancy

o

Nancy - Thanks, that's good to know.

Carol

o

I have purchased bare root plants from Cayuga County Soil and Wter. My advice is to have the soil already prepared prior to the delivery date so you can plant IMMEDIATELY. I wasn't ready last year and some were in poor cindition by the time I was ready to plant, even though I kept them in the shade and watered them.
Mudlady

o

We've planted 4 of the trees and gave the remaining 6 to neighbors. We were a little overzealous!!

I was disappointed in the amount of the compost. The brochure said that each bag "contains about 2 cubic feet". Actually, as posted on each bag, the contents was 1.2 cf. I'll check to see how that compares with prices elsewhere.

o

The 4 trees we planted don't look very good......

Carol

o

My Monroe County soil and water plants from last year were very successful. I got serviceberries, salix purpurea, and rosa rugosa. The ones I planted first were the most successful, and the one I left unplanted for a long time didn't do too weel. Had to buy them $10 for 10, but they were cheap enough it didn't matter.

o

Update - Actually, it looks like 3 of the 4 we planted might just make it :-)

Carol

o
RE: Cooperative extension plants UPDATE

Only 2 have made it and they are pitifully small. Never again.

o

Look for your Master Gardeners to have plant sales in the spring and again in the fall. I know ours here in Tioga County does and the selection is fabulous as long as you get there early.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Upstate New York Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here