Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laffter

Cooperative extension plants

laurpheus
18 years ago

I'm in the Albany/ Saratoga area and I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience with bareroot and other stock from the extensions. In lieu of that, do you have any little-known gems of garden centers to share?

Comments (11)

• kareen
    18 years ago

I have tried some shrubs and have had pretty good luck with most. Helderledge farms in Voorheesville area is not to be missed but pricy. Don't forget the garden club plant sales....real bargains and some unique plants at these usually. They begin usually Mothers day weekend.

• wantoretire_did
    18 years ago

Laurie - I'm going to order some Norway Spruce transplants and some compost from the Saratoga Co. Soil & Water Conservation District.

Their booklet/order forms are in post offices and here and there. Phone No. is 885-6900. The office is in Ballston Spa, 50 West High St. Orders have to be in by April 3rd. This will be a first for me, so I can't give an opinion.

Carol

• Chazy
    18 years ago

Quite a few years ago my husband and I ordered white spruces and later balsam fir from our Soil Conservation District,and the trees were very good. We lost a few due to an eager lawnmower,but none due to poor trees. They are now about 40 feet tall, and healthy. I would recommend their trees any time,and the price is right.

Nancy

• wantoretire_did
    18 years ago

Nancy - Thanks, that's good to know.

Carol

• mudlady_gw
    18 years ago

I have purchased bare root plants from Cayuga County Soil and Wter. My advice is to have the soil already prepared prior to the delivery date so you can plant IMMEDIATELY. I wasn't ready last year and some were in poor cindition by the time I was ready to plant, even though I kept them in the shade and watered them.
    Mudlady

• wantoretire_did
    17 years ago

We've planted 4 of the trees and gave the remaining 6 to neighbors. We were a little overzealous!!

I was disappointed in the amount of the compost. The brochure said that each bag "contains about 2 cubic feet". Actually, as posted on each bag, the contents was 1.2 cf. I'll check to see how that compares with prices elsewhere.

• wantoretire_did
    17 years ago

The 4 trees we planted don't look very good......

Carol

• sci_girl
    17 years ago

My Monroe County soil and water plants from last year were very successful. I got serviceberries, salix purpurea, and rosa rugosa. The ones I planted first were the most successful, and the one I left unplanted for a long time didn't do too weel. Had to buy them $10 for 10, but they were cheap enough it didn't matter.

• wantoretire_did
    17 years ago

Update - Actually, it looks like 3 of the 4 we planted might just make it :-)

Carol

• wantoretire_did
    16 years ago

Only 2 have made it and they are pitifully small. Never again.

• Carol_from_ny
    16 years ago

Look for your Master Gardeners to have plant sales in the spring and again in the fall. I know ours here in Tioga County does and the selection is fabulous as long as you get there early.

Sponsored
Ramos Timber
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Westerville's Top Craftsman & Exceptional Quality Tile & Stone