Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
berndnyz5

Fast Ice Storm Debris Removal by Town?

in ny zone5
15 years ago

I am curious how fast your town is removing tree debris of the December ice storm. I live in Clifton Park, NY, which is north of Albany, and our town just now has located funding for it, is now looking to get quotes by tree or waste companies, and promises the cleanup will start April 1. Many streets have piles of debris at the curb in front of most houses. My pile is a wall 4 1/2 ft high and 16 ft long and is waiting there for 3 months now.

Since we are all gardeners, the climate is so warm, I am raking outside, and I can not put paper bags with small debris outside, because sitting there possibly for a month until it gets picked up will turn those in compost piles. Those people in government here must not be gardeners, probably do not even own a house. In the neighboring town of Niskayuna, the town is picking up debris already the second time.

How is your town performing?

I needed to vent this. I decided to rake everything and collect all small debris in large plastic bags until the collectors finally show up, at which time I will pack all into paperbags.

Thanks!

Bernd

Comments (6)

• hammerl
    15 years ago

Let me start by saying I didn't have an ice storm in December. That said... we did have a freak catastrophic snow-related storm October 12, 2006 that acted much the same way as an ice storm -- snapped limbs, trees downed, power lines down, etc.

We were declared a disaster area. It looked like a hurricane came through town. The streets were not passable for several days and we had a four day driving ban. The snow melted over the next few days, leaving acres of mud and debris. Our power was out for ten days.

I know we still had six to eight foot high piles of limbs and tree trunks at halloween, the length of the property and eight feet wide. I think most of the debris was cleaned up by late November 2006, however -- removal, chipping, and shipping out of piles, and trimming of street trees.

We still don't have all the funding reimbursed to us by New York State. It took until June '07 to have our streetlights restored.

I think waiting three months, even with snowstorms, is a bit excessive. Nevermind the gardening, it's a safety hazard and a home for vermin.

• in ny zone5
    Original Author
    15 years ago

hammerl,

thanks for your reply. This shows that local and state governments are not even capable to scope out these simpler emergencies and respond to it on time.

In my case there was a lot of snow this winter and most debris was not yet brought to the curb by many people. But instead of figuring it out a few weeks ago and have it in place like right now, they might have it farmed out in 2 weeks from now, and then it will take them up to 2 months to remove it, I heard today.

So it looks like I will have to get a dumping permit, rent a truck and bring it to the dump myself. Plus then, once I have the permit, I will be able to get free compost.

• rosesstink
    15 years ago

Our town doesn't pick up debris (or anything). We live in a fairly rural area though. We all fend for ourselves. If something needs to be taken to the transfer station we have to do it on our own.
    Just curious: Why should the state government help pick up the tab? You pay some sort of trash tax/fee to your town I assume (we don't - thus no pickup) so shouldn't they be responsible?

• in ny zone5
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Rosesstk,

Thanks for your comment. I was only curious how this was handled elsewhere.
    I must say that the town was very good to everyone during the icestorm, helping all in need. My problem is that I like to garden, and then piles of branches and bags of debris do not agree with spring. Yes, I live in a suburb on a 1/2 acre lot and any destruction is very obvious. In a rural area lots are larger and broken branches got simply thrown down a hill, as my inlaws were doing, nobody saw it.

I am now taking care of my problem, just rented a 26 ft Uhaul truck and will bring everything to the town's transfer station tomorrow, with the town not charging anything. So costs are minimal to me and the town for removal of my icestorm debris . Yes, I pay a garbage collector and property and school taxes. The cost of removing the debris in my town will be $1 to 2 million per the news, mainly paid by FEMA.

• rosesstink
    15 years ago

I'm glad you found a solution. You're right, out here in the country we just throw branches, etc. out into the fields. That's kind of nice. lol

• in ny zone5
    Original Author
    15 years ago

In rural areas you are possibly also permitted to burn. Not here. The garbage company wrote us we should not dream about that they would pick up any of our icestorm debris. Therefore, on a small lot you are stuck with it, or bring it to the local dump yourself, as we finally did.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor