Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
remy_gw

Plantasia

remy_gw
16 years ago

Hi all,

I went to Plantasia yesterday with my sis-in-law. It of course isn't as big as Rochester, but I thought it was very nice this year especially since it is still snowy. I even actually picked up some stuff on sale!

Remy

Here is a link that might be useful: Plantasia Photos

Comments (11)

• krazyaroider
    16 years ago

I was at Plantasia on Friday.
    I found the layout nice and it is good to see green and flowers as compared to the otherwise depressing WNY landscape.
    I am hoping that this event grows larger and provides more for the rare/unusual, out of zone gardener.
    I was disappointed that Harlem Bulb was not there this year as they had the rare & unusual stuff that are found in catalogs.
    I purchased Thompson & Morgan Olive Tree seeds so I could start a new houseplant!

• remy_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Krazyaroider,
    Cool that you got the T&M seeds. I got 2 pairs of sloggers for $10 from the same vender. Did you stop in the Lockwood's booth? They do carry lots of unusual plants of course the selection at the show is somewhat limited, but I was checking out the Agave 'Spot'. It was neat looking, but I didn't buy.
    Remy

• krazyaroider
    16 years ago

Remy ~
    Yes I did stop by Lockwood's booth. I also do not live very far from them and I shall be checking their plants out, hopefully soon. Lockwoods has expanded and I, unfortunately have not been there in a couple of years - will be there this year.
    Have you been to Lockwoods nursery and /or the numerous nurseries on Clinton Street in West Seneca?
    I like Galleys (Clinton Street)- good prices,plants and service. Johnsons in South Wales is good for finding native plants.
    Also Blasdell Nursery has good prices on plants and garden "stuff" - staff is friendly and helpful.
    Occasionally I get up to Menne and Highway Nurseries on Niagara Fall Boulevard - unusual plants and merchandise commonly found in catalogs.

~ Gerry

• remy_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Gerry,
    I have not been to Lockwoods. I keep meaning too. I've also meant to stop at Blasdell since it is close to my sis-in-law's. I've never been to Galleys. I'll have to check them out, because I always take a few trips out to Clinton to go to Earsing's which is small, but I always find good stuff there and very reasonably priced. I also go to Mike Weber's over there too.
    I like to go to Menne's a lot. Oh, Highway was leveled last week when I drove by! I don't know of they are rebuilding or they sold the property.
    If you ever get out to Niagara County on rt. 31(Saunders Settlement Road)near NCCC there is a nursery that carries lots of new and unusual varieties for a good price. I for the life of me can't remember the name! I have to call my cousin and ask, because it really is a nice place worth stopping at when out that way.
    Remy

• penny1947
    16 years ago

We went to Plantasia on Sunday. I was actually disappointed. I thought the displays were much better in previous years as well as items for sale. We left after only being there less than 2 hours and part of that time I was visiting a friend who was there as an exhibitor.

Penny

• remy_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Penny,
    I spent more this year than I ever have, lol. I wonder if it was because I went on Thursday, and that by Sunday many of the good items were gone.
    Remy

• hammerl
    16 years ago

Gerry,

You can't head to Hi-Way anymore. They sold the property to Walgreens. The buildings are already knocked down, a Walgreens is going up soon. Menne is still there.

• pamghatten
    16 years ago

Hi All,

I also went on Sunday and was not impressed. I think it's been better previously. A friend that had a dog product booth in the other building said that there were not as many vendors since they changed the requirement for wider fire aisles.

But I did stop by Lockwood's after the show and picked up some interesting houseplants. I plan on going back a couple of times to see what they have to offer.

Pam
    S Wales, NY

• penny1947
    16 years ago

Remy Would the the garden center on hwy 31 be Treichler's by any chance? They do have some good plants and I will probably go out there in a week or so to see what they have.

Also Hi-Way Garden center that used to be on the Blvd is now going to be located down on Tonawanda Creek Rd. I am not sure how far downbut I think they open this week end or this coming week (Earth Day maybe?)

• remy_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Penny,
    Yes! I forgot to ask my cousin when I talked to her a couple days ago too, so I'm glad you guessed.
    Remy

• penny1947
    16 years ago

I drove by Treichler's this week end. They had a sign out but I couldn't see it as I was driving but I think they will open either Friday or Saturday of this week for the season. Hi-Way will also open this coming week end