Return to the Upstate New York Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Italian Cypress in Zone 6?

Posted by FlowerPower___ Z6 New Rochelle (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 2, 05 at 21:56

I would like to make "kind" of a formal Italian garden and would very much like to know if I can plant Italian Cypress in Zone 6, Westchester County in NY. It is a very narrow cypress and has columnar habit. Any help will be highly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Italian Cypress in Zone 6?

Hi, IC are rated down to z7b which kind of leaves things uncertain as to whether they will survive an extended deep freeze like the kind NY has experienced as of late.
The PBS show Victory Garden did a series of shows on Italian gardening/plants and focused on IC in at least one of them, if memory serves me. Perhaps an internet search of their site might help.
good luck

ciao

Here is a link that might be useful: Victory Garden

o

I live in Cold Spring, Putnam County, a bit north of you, but also Z6. A neighbor has several Italian Cypress (the "glauca" which is a frosty blue-green and most lovely) which she planted about 2 or 3 years ago to replace some yews that had outgrown their mission. They are doing fine and have really enhanced her garden, which is sort of Italianate (she has a knot garden edged in box and has real taste and charm incorporated into her property). If you are in New Rochelle, I would say go for it. A friend who is a NR native claims that the Sound moderates the climate there.

o

You could consider columnar yew, like Hicksii. The effect is the same, but yew grows much more slowly. (but is hardy)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Upstate New York Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here