Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindalou_gw

new to area

lindalou
13 years ago

hi everyone, i am spending my first spring in western new york, coming from southern delaware, and have a whole blank canvas of a yard to do something with. can anyone recommend a good, inexpensive nursery where i can get some ferns, hostas, tiarella, mostly shade plants at. also, gw says i am zone 4, but from everything i have read, i thought i was zone 5. i live about 10 minutes south of niagara falls. can anyone help me?? tia ;)

Comments (6)

• gottagarden
    13 years ago

Welcome! Not sure where your nurseries are, but perhaps Menne Nursery?

COnsider coming to our annual western NY plant swap usually held the first weekend in June. More details later, after the last of the snow is gone and we can really think about spring! See the exchange forum for the last few years trade posts.

The weather will get better!

• lindalou
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thanks, gottagarden. there is a menne nursery fairly close to where i live. i will definitely start there. thanks, so much, for mentioning the plant swap, although i won't have anything to bring this year. will they mind if i come empty-handed? i did look at some of the past posts about the swap, and it sounds like a really likable and friendly group. i can't wait to meet you all. i will keep my eye out for more info on this years swap. thanks, again!! :)

• gottagarden
    13 years ago

Sorry this forum is so slow now. It will wake up a little in the summer months. Most active just before the swap.

Some people that don't have any plants bring other stuff. One woman brought eggs from her chickens, another woman had scads of gardening magazines, others baked goods, and some start seeds and bring veggie seedlings. But we always have lots of extras, especially if you are new and looking for a "starter" garden of coneflowers, black eyed susans, shasta daisies, daylilies, iris, etc. Be sure to watch this space come May.

• husky004_
    12 years ago

lindalou-just plan on coming we are a fun bunch that like to share, but we do accept cash....haha...honestly just kidding...we always have way more than we can even swap with each other so if you are looking to fill a blank canvas I think we can help...plus you get to meet a great bunch of gardeners that have a wealth of knowledge...and the food rocks too!!!!

• lindalou
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thanks, gotta and husky. i definitely plan on coming. you all sound like such a great group of gardeners and i can't wait to meet all of you. ;)

• penny1947
    12 years ago

Lindalou
    I am in North Tonawanda...so probably not to far from you. I don't know who told you that you were zone 4 but you may be closer to 6. I garden for zone 6 and refuse to go any lower. My southern blood can't deal with anything below 6! Seriously, you are probably no lower than 5B Mennes is pretty good but expensive. There is a good nursery in Sanbord on Route 31 Vsllrf Treichler's that is much more reasonable but they aren't open yet. I drove by on Thursday to see but the closed sign was still up. Anything you don't get at the plant swap you can probably find at Treichler's. I usually go out there about once a week early in the season when I go to the reservation to fill up my gas tank. If you need any more info shoot me an Email

Penny

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler