Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trever_gw

need ideas

trever
15 years ago

Just recently relocated to this area from Southern California to the Mohawk Valley. I LOVE gardening. What flowers grow best here? Any tips? Any/all suggestions/advice appreciated.....I have lilacs, roses & concord grapes (am familiar with those).

Comments (7)

• sewobsessed
    15 years ago

trever,
    welcome to Central NY!
    I hope you enjoy it here.
    As for the flowers that grow well here, the list is much, much too long.
    Just about any perennial that's listed hardy to zone 4 will do well. Some better than others depending on the harshness of our winters and the snowfall amounts.
    Annuals usually do well in our summers, though they are sometimes ridiculously humid.
    One thing that works very well in this area for growing flowers is something called Wintersowing. If you want to experiment with a lot of flowers quickly and on the cheap to see what you'll like and will do well in your yard, why not give it a try.
    Here is some info on it:
    WinterSowing forum
    Wintersown.org
    Winter Sowing FAQ's
    If you come across something you think is pretty, give it a try in your yard. You might be pleasantly surprised!

I'm sure someone will come along with some good suggestions for you.

• sewobsessed
    15 years ago

Oops, I forgot to mention a fantastic resource for us:
    The Cornell website

• misskimmie
    15 years ago

trever,
    And a big Welcome to the Mohawk Valley. I'm in Utica area, where are you located ? I am a native and think this is a fantastic place to live. Besides gardening tips, I would love to tell you about some of special places and events of the Mohawk Valley. This is a web site of a TV show that used to be on the air.

Also, In May, there will be a "greening festival" (gardening, living green, plant swap etc) near Mohawk. In June Cornell Cooperative extension hosts a "Herb and Flower Festival."

Good luck with your new garden

kim

Oh and do try wintersowing!

Here is a link that might be useful: explore!

• Carol_from_ny
    15 years ago

I second going to the WSing board! Once there you will be hooked and gardening like a ol' pro.

• jannie
    15 years ago

The only good thing about gardening in NY, is at least you have enough winter chill for flowers like lilacs and peonies.

• gottagarden
    15 years ago

I moved here from San Jose. I like having winters off so I get a break from the garden, otherwise I would be a permanent slave to the garden. During winter you can recharge your batteries and get something else done.

• Dottie B.
    15 years ago

Welcome!

You can check out my website for some ideas. I have pages set up with the plants that I grow. Just click on the Gardening section. I will have a lot more photos once the season starts up again. There are probably several dozen plants that I grow that I don't have a picture on the site yet. We have an acre, so I grow a wide variety of plants from shade loves, to sun lovers, to water lovers, to dry condition lovers. We have a wide variety of soils here, so it makes it challenging too. If you have any questions, feel free to e-mail me....there are plenty of links on the site...or you can e-mail me thru GardenWeb.

Good luck with your new gardens!

Here is a link that might be useful: My Website

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz