Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
acegolfer_gw

How to deal with the rabbits?

acegolfer
19 years ago

I have tulips and daffodils in my front yard. I'm worried about the rabbits eating the tulip sprouts. Is there anything that I can do besides installing a fence? I came up with several ideas and wonder whether any of them will work.

1) spray rabbit repellent

2) spray hot sauce

3) put garlic next to the flower

4) put some bonemeal.

Any experiences?

Comments (6)

• misstish64
    19 years ago

Last year a rabbit started to nibble my tulips. What worked for me was taking handfuls of fur from my dog (he sheds... a lot) and throwing it on the ground around the plants. Only thing is, when it rained the fur made white mats, but the chickadees eventually took some of it away for nesting. We live in the city, so it was one very large mutant rabbit, but I'm not sure if this would work with a larger band of country rabbits. Good luck!

• Anne_Marie_Alb
    19 years ago

I do not have a magic trick--unfortunately. My tulips have also been nibbled by rabbits in the past. However, I believe bonemeal WILL attract squirrels (if not rabbits)--which you do not want. Were you thinking of 'blood meal' (or dried blood)? It is known to keep (temporarily anyway) squirrels, woodchucks and rabbits away. Although I really hate using this stuff (I am a vegetarian..) it has helped.

Rabbits frequently nibble on the leaves of my tulips when they come up.. but usually do not damage the buds. Can you live with a little damage?

As misstish64 suggested, I would go with 'hair'. I have used my own against squirrels (around 2 small areas as a trial) and I haven't had any digging. It does not look very good though... and it is not a 'renewable' source! LOL! I do not have a dog...

Squirrels (unless it is rabbits???) have chewed on at least half of my crocuses as they were about to open and have scattered the chewed buds all around.. I was very upset. It is the first year I have had such damage. Due to the poor/lack of crop of acorns, they may be turning more to our gardens... I covered some remaining patches with grids.

Good luck, Anne-Marie

• Carol_from_ny
    19 years ago

Best thing I've found is to put in nesting boxes for owls and leaving places natural when possible near lawns for hawks to nest.

• madorley
    19 years ago

I have had great luck with sprinkling garlic powder or grains on and around what I don't want eaten. I have heard that dog hair repels squirrels, but that wouldn't be very pretty in a bare spring garden.

• gottagarden
    19 years ago

Will any kind of trap work for rabbits? Like a havahart cage trap?

• craig76
    16 years ago

Put several carrots, celery, peas,potatoes, in a large pot. And garden plump rabbits season as needed.LOL

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals