Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
penny1947_gw

Weigelia from last years plant swap at Tara's

penny1947
14 years ago

I am just curious about the starter weigelia plants that some of you got from me at Tara's plant swap last year. I had one left so I potted it up in a larger pot and I did get 3 or 4 blooms on it last year. I planted it in the ground in late summer and it is now about a foot or a foot and a half tall and is loaded with buds now. I hope the others did as well as this one has done.

Penny

Comments (6)

• virgiebaby165
    14 years ago

Hi Penny:
    I too received the Wygelia but kept it in its same pot (no flowers) but new growth this year. I had a tree taken down near the house last year and is ready to be used this year for planting...am thinking of putting this small bush there. However, is it a large or short Wygelia...not sure/not mentioned. What color leaves and flowers did you notice so I have some idea how close to my house I want this shrub??? Lt. pink/dk. pink--dark leaves/med. leaves???? Thanks for answering.

Ginny B.

• penny1947
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Giinny
    I repotted mine last summer into a 6 or 8 inch pot and it did give me a few little flowers. In late summer I just dug a hole in one of my beds and planted it out for the winter. This past week I dug it out of that bed and planted in it permanent location. The flowers are a reddish pink and if I remember correctly it has medium green leaves once it is all leafed out. My parent plant is about 3 1/2 to 4 ft. tall right now and they can grow to 6-8 ft. but can be pruned to keep it the size you want. Once established they require little to no care whatsoever. They usually bloom at the end of May or early June and sometimes will bloom a little off and on through the summer and early fall.

Penny

• virgiebaby165
    14 years ago

Hi there Penny:
    Thanks for all the information re. Weigelia plant. Plan to plant it out this coming week after the supposed frost tonight (Sat)???? My hummers are back! Noticed them this week when their nectar was getting dwindling.
    Ginny

• penny1947
    Original Author
    14 years ago

You are welcome Ginny. My first female showed up today.

Penny

• virgiebaby165
    14 years ago

Hi there Penny:

Felt left out while Tara's Exchange was going on but I truly have no more room and it is a bit of a distance. However, I wanted to report to you that I found a spot for last year's Weigelia plant from you and it is just the perfect plant blooming quit a bit for a two stalker plant. It is still blooming and I think I'm going to love it where it is. Finished planting up my "volunteer" tomato plants from last year and if they all come in (from 6 bought ones), I could feed 6 houses in my neighborhood! Will plan to be at the Tomato Exchange in the fall. Missed seeing everyone this past weekend though (sigh).

Ginny

• garden_frog
    14 years ago

We missed you too Ginny! See you at the Tomato Party!

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks