Return to the Upstate New York Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
First Hummer siting in WNY

Posted by penny1947 z6 WNY (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 15, 08 at 5:28

The first siting for WNY has been posted on Lanny's map. If you haven't put at least one feeder out yet, please do so as there isn't much available for those little flying fairies yet and they will need to find nectar sources on their tough journey northward. They have to make it all the way to the northern parts of Ontario and eastward all the way to Nova Scotia. So even if yours doesn't stick around you will be helping them make it to their summer breeding grounds. I have two feeders up .... one in back and one in front.

Penny

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: First Hummer siting in WNY

Yeahhhhhh, I'm still waiting to see that blurred flash of green. I only have 2 feeders up myself right now. Hope to put 2 more up. I check multiple times during the day when I'm home for those little fairies :)

o

and now there are two! Second report looks like southwestern Erie county along the lake. Will post if I can pinpoint either location.

Penny

o

For anyone wishing to follow the migration here is the link to the map

Penny

Here is a link that might be useful: Ruby-throated Spring Migration Map

o

OK the first report came in from Glenville, NY. Is anyone close by? I am still waiitng to find out the exact location on the secnd siting in the southern tier but will report as soon as I find out

Penny

o

OK the 2nd siting yetsterday was in DUNKIRK!

Penny

o

I don't know if anyone still cares about this, but my parents have 3 or 4 (they aren't sure if one is the same) at their feeder in Otego NY (Otsego County)

o

You or your parents should report the siting to Lanny on the Migration Map and also to Journey North's Field Data

Penny

o

• Posted by kareen z5 NY Renss.Co. (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 22, 08 at 16:49

Hi Penny,
I am about a half hour east of Glenville but nothing near me . On our local exchange site online everyone is talking about it and no one has seen any yet . I did see one last week but it was after a very red tropical hibiscus in Haiti so I guess that doesnt count. It was great to see the little ones again. Kareen

o

Kareen,
I really don't think it will be too long now. Most everyone around the country is reporting that theirs are arriving early and hopefully with the nice weather we have had thanks to those southerly tail winds, it will push them onward and upward. The first one arrived in Nova Scotia today so I am ready!

Penny

o

Well the first one has been reported in N. Tonawanda but it isn't me. Maybe he stopped over for the evening and is headed to my house today.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Upstate New York Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here