Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dirthappy

Impatiens from seed

dirthappy
18 years ago

Can anyone shed some light on why the impatiens I've started haven't sprouted yet? One flat is over a month now and two others I started March 26. They are the only thing that I can't get to start. Any thoughts?

Comments (8)

• penny1947
    18 years ago

The first year I did impatiens. I got zilch. This year I started seeds from my own plants that I collected last summer and early fall. I surface sowed the seeds in premoistened soil and then misted the seeds in to settle them into the soil. I covered the container with a clear clover with air vents and put the container in an east facing window. I periodically mist the surface of the soil with aspirin water. Nearly all the seeds i sowed sprouted in about a week but they are slow to develop their first set of true leaves but they do look very sturdy.

Since this is only the second time I have tried Impatiens wallerina I can only offer my own experience.

Penny

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    18 years ago

Try some bottom heat. I usually start a packet or two every year, and rarely have trouble with them. Also, it seems there is a lot of inferior seed out there that doesn't germinate well.

• kareen
    18 years ago

I have started them about this time of year but wintersowed them .That has worked well but I believe the seeds were also collected not purchased.

• dkotchey
    18 years ago

I've had problems in the past with impatiens. Usually due to too much heat and drying out. But with experiment, the last 2 years I've had nearly 100% germination. I use premoistened soilless mix or some kind of seed starting mix. Make sure the seeds have good contact with the soil. You can gently press them into the soil but don't cover. Mist the seeds, use bottom heat (make sure it's not too hot though - I use those green-colored heat mats put out by Jiffy-Gro),cover the seed tray with a dome or plastic with vents, place in a bright location of your house.

It's very important to not let the soil dry out while trying to germinate. Mist if necessary. I've had bad luck with germination when putting them under flourascent lights. I know others use the lights but they don't work for me. So I wait until after they germinate before putting them under lights. If you don't have lights, place them in a bright window. Just be sure to turn them to face the light in different directions so the plants don't get leggy.

This year I made my own mix and they are doing the best ever (2 parts peat, 1 part perlite, 1 part vermiculite, premoistened with chamomille tea mixed with water). The chamomille helps with preventing damping-off. But it's not necessary to make your own mix. This was my first year to try it. I'm not sure they germinated any faster but they seem to be growing quicker. Maybe because there's more perlite in the mix then the seed mix I usually buy.

• dirthappy
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for your help. I have them in the greenhouse. I started some in the house until the greehouse was put up. It averages around 80 in there during the day and 65-70 at night. I'll just have to use a little more patience.

• husky004_
    18 years ago

I've had great luck with impatiens started in the house under florescent lights, I usually buy Burpee seeds and have had good results.

• lblack61
    18 years ago

I had nothing but problems with them this year. I give up. Last year was my second try and I at least got seedlings. This year, some of the sprouts got green fuzz, I think some went into thermodormancy, and I just dumped the whole thing in the "Used Dirt" bucket after three months.
    But the double Impatiens I overwintered are doing nicely. I seem to do do great overwintering them-- and I don't do much to them at all. Just let them dry out completely and water them when the leaves get a little droopy.
    I think this year, I will buy Impatiens just to overwinter.

I might try again next year if I don't start anything else indoors.

• jannie
    18 years ago

I'm a very lazy gardener. I always buy flats of impatiens after Mother's day. They go on sale then. I have been told they are easy to grow from seed. I might just try them next year.