Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
starmoon_gw

Has anyone gone to the Landis Arboretum Plant Sale?

starmoon
18 years ago

Happy Spring! The Landis Arboretum in Esperance, NY is having it's spring plant and book sale on May 14-15 from 10-4. Has anyone ever been to this sale? Would appreciate your comments.

-Channon

Comments (4)

• Anne_Marie_Alb
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Yes, I have (once in the Fall, once in the Spring). Interesting variety of plants/shrubs/trees. However, unless you get there at the opening, you might 'miss the show'. Also, very pricey--I believe, for the benefit of the Arboretum--a good cause. If we don't go hiking that Saturday, I'll go, just out of curiosity.
    Anne-Marie

• kareen
    18 years ago

Oh yes,
    I have a Daphne, pee gee hydrangea a miniture pine ....all very healthy ( I killed the pine...don't ask) also have gotten iris there. They are pricy but actually have a good selection of and unique varieties which attract me. I think I would have paid more for the Daphne if I mail ordered it as I haven't seem them much locally.Its also just a very peaceful place to be.
    I love this time of year when all of the local garden clubs do their plant sales. I find so many neat things there for pennies . And then its time for our swap!!!!!Kareen

Here is a link that might be useful: Our pond and gardens

• Flowerchild
    18 years ago

I have been there once. I always plan to go but that's such a busy time of year I usually don't make it but this year it falls on my birthday.....uhmmm nice birthday present huh. The plants I got were on the pricey side but they were a nice size and very healthy. As Anne Marie says it's for a very good cause. Maybe I will see ya'll there if I can remember your faces.

• thomwrite
    15 years ago

Was preparing fo tomorrow's Second Sunday Shoeshoe atthe Arboretum when I saw these posts tr: Plant Sale. I've attached info about the 09 Spring Sale and other May '09 events here (www.landisarboretum.org)

May 2, Saturday, 7 - 8:30 PM
    WOODCOCK WALK
    Early spring brings the mating song and dance of the American woodcock. We will explore the fields of the Arboretum to hear his song and observe his aerial dance. If we are lucky wefll be able to sneak right up on him as he shows off to females. George Steele, Science Educator. Donation, $5 per person.

May 9, Saturday, 10 V noon at the Arboretum, and 1-3 PM at 1185 Creek Road in Esperance
    WILDLEARN AND WINSLOW OUTDOOR FAMILY ADVENTURE DUO
    Join the Wildlife Learning Company at the Arboretum for a live animal presentation that includes local wildlife ¡V including birds, reptiles, and amphibians ¡V followed by an interactive guided nature walk. The program takes place at 10 AM - noon Location: Landis Arboretum, Lape Road, Esperance, NY.
    Then experience the excitement of artistic equestrian JD Winslow in a workshop on the care and training of his unique riding horses, followed by a special acrobatic riding presentation. Location: 1185 Creek Road, Esperance, NY.
    One fee includes admission to both presentations. Bring a picnic lunch. Reservations with payment or credit card by May 1. Members $8, non-members $10. Family of four: members $25, non-members $35.

May 9, Saturday, 10 AM ¡V 1 PM
    EYE ON: NATURE THROUGH THE CAMERA¡¦S LENS
    A photography class for all levels of proficiency,
    The 548-acres Arboretum becomes a photographer¡¦s paradise in this dynamic three-part exploration of nature as seen though the camera¡¦s lens.
    Led by nature photographer Bill Combs, Jr. and members of the Schoharie County Photographers Club, the informal three sessions are designed to engender excitement and a deeper appreciation of technique, patience and experience when nature is the dynamic subject of pursuit.
    ÂX May: Look up: Avian life at Landis.
    ÂX June: Look down! Explore the hidden wonders of the forest floor at the Capital Region¡¦s Arboretum
    ÂX July: Look out and all around! Celebrate the abundance of Wildlife that makes the Arboretum a boundless source of inspiration and satisfaction for your mid-day photographic adventure.

Each 3-hour segment includes:

ÂX 90 minutes with camera in hand, exploring the natural splendors of the Arboretum.
    ÂX 90 minutes of shared time as you display your images in a group setting, learn from shared suggestions and recommendations for improving technique, engaging nature, and expanding creative options. Held at the Arboretum¡¦s Harkness Library, which doubles as a classroom, art studio, workshop area.

Requirements: Enthusiasm; a digital camera, appropriate clothing (depending on season), and sensible shoes for the natural terrain of Landis. Bring a brown-bag lunch and a non-alcoholic beverage. Segments can be taken individually although participation in all three sessions will yield maximum satisfaction and learning. Cost: $25/session for members; $35/non-members.
    Your Guides: Cobleskill resident Bill Combs Jr¡¦s interest in photography began in high school. What began as a hobby developed into a privilege, taking him to places he never would have visited otherwise¡Xfrom countless hours exploring the wildlife of the exotic Everglades National Park in Florida to photographing the buffalo round-up in South Dakota and elk and bighorn sheep in the Rockies. Bill and his family often can be seen exploring the trails and rich natural resources of the Arboretum.
    For more than a decade, the Schoharie Photo Club has provided common ground for regional photographers -- both amateur and professional. Members discuss their art, share techniques, display their images, and discuss their body of work. Members¡¦ work is displayed at the Cobleskill Fair each August as well as in group showings at the TriCounty Arts Council Gallery in Cobleskill. The Club hosts presentations by guest speakers and knowledgeable members on various topics during its monthly meetings. www.scphotoclub.com ; info@scphotoclub.com

May 9, Saturday, 11 AM ¡V 3 PM
    PAINT-OUT
    Mohawk Region Chapter of the New York Plein-Air Painters will sponsor a 'Paint-Out' on the grounds of the Landis Arboretum. Plein-air painting is practiced internationally and is growing in popularity. It refers to artwork, usually landscapes, created outdoors on site. Artists typically work in oils and create relatively small paintings that can be completed in a few hours using folding easels and lightweight, portable equipment. All materials are carried in and carried out by the artists with a careful respect of the environment. We are hoping for some fine spring weather (basically no heavy snow or driving rain, but everything else will be acceptable) and glorious flowering trees and shrubs. Artists can park at the Meeting House. We will reconvene at 3:30 for a casual group critique, refreshments, and a welcome chance to visit. Donations of paintings to the Arboretum's Acorn gift shop as well as paintings left for commission sale are encouraged, but not required. In the event of rain (as in downpour) the event will be postponed to the same time the following day, Sunday, May 10. To sign up, or for more information, participating artists can call Mary Beth Vought at 518-868-2807.

May 12¡V16, Monday¡VFriday, 9 AM¡V5 PM
    ARBORETUM¡¦S SIGNATURE SPRING PLANT/BOOK SALE SET-UP
    Volunteers needed the week prior to the sale. Please call the Arboretum at 518-875-6935 for specifics. Lunch provided! Workers and bakers needed for plant sale weekend also.

May 15, Friday, 5 ¡V 8 PM
    MEMBERS¡¦ PREVIEW PARTY
    By longstanding tradition, the Friday before the Plant Sale opens to the general public s designated as ¡§Pick of the Pots¡¨ (PoPs), a member-only preview and plant sale. The light evening fare of festive finger foods will be provided by Dottie Gallo¡¦s Sweet Tooth Caterers (Esperance). Details will be announced in the Newsletter and at www.landisarboretum.org. Always a memorable event when old friends meet once again ¡V and introduce new ones to an Arboretum tradition.

May 16 and 17, Saturday and Sunday, 10 AM ¡V 4 PM
    SPRING PLANT AND BOOK SALE
    Out of the ordinary trees, shrubs, and perennials. Bake sale on both days. Free admission and free parking. Volunteers needed and welcomed.

May 22/23, Friday/Saturday, 9:30 PM
    PUBLIC STAR PARTY
    Alan French and Albany Area Astronomers. Free admission and parking ¡V but donations to aid the Arboretum are always welcomed. See March 27/28 for details.

May 23, Saturday, 6 - 9 AM
    EARLY MORNING BIRD WALK
    A walk for the beginning to serious birder. We will explore the Arboretum grounds to find resident and migrating birds. George Steele, Science Educator. Donation, $5 per person.

May 30, Saturday, 9:30 AM ¡V 2:30 PM
    PROJECT WILD/AQUATIC WILD
    Project WILD (Wildlife in Learning Design) and Aquatic WILD are among the most widely used conservation and environmental education programs today. This fast-paced workshop is designed for formal and informal educators, and will teach you how to integrate wildlife-focused activities of Project WILD and WILD Aquatic into your lessons, be they in the classroom, camp, after-school program, or nature center. Participants will receive two curriculum guides, which contain more than 200 activities for ages K-12. The workshop will include a range of activities from the guides and will take place indoors and out on the Arboretum's grounds. $20/participant. To register, call the Wildlife Learning Company, 607-293-6043.

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County