Return to the Upstate New York Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Planting Blueberry Bushes

Posted by penny1947 z6 WNY (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 5, 10 at 6:11

I just bought 4 Blueberry bushes at Sam's Club this week end. Is it safe to plant them out now or should I wait a little longer?

Penny

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Planting Blueberry Bushes

New question: I am going to have to create beds for these bushes as we all know that our soil here in western NY is mostly heavy clay. I am thinking I should go ahead and plant them in containers until I can get the beds dug and ammended. All suggestions are welcome.

Penny

o

I think containers are a good idea. That gives you time to do what you need. Maybe even a type of container you don't need remove, one of those fiber ones?

-Rosalinda

o

I bought blueberry, raspberry, and blackberry bushes from Sam's Club in March. I had them outside when the temp went into the 20's. I lost all the buds, but almost all are coming back now. Now I keep them inside in a cool place when the temp is going to be below 40. I am hoping after the end of April I will be able to plant them. The low is supposed to be 31 on the 23rd of April.

o

What are the best tasting varieties of blueberries? When I was a kid my dad planted some that had large (1") berries as sweet as could be. I have bought several varieties:
Bluecrop
Blueray
Berkely
Chippewa
Earliblue
Jersey
Spartan
I just saw a couple of other varieties at Lowes today. does anyone have any suggestions for any better tasting varieties?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Upstate New York Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here