Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bobbie1_gw

Highland Park Irises

bobbie1
17 years ago

Can anyone tell me when the Iris Garden at Highland Park is expected to be in bloom this year? I will be "coming home" (I now live in Ireland) in Mid May and would love to see this if I am arriving at the right time.

Just joined this website and even tho I live far away, I am enjoying all the Upstate Info!

Bobbie

Comments (8)

• gottagarden
    17 years ago

Not sure about Highland Park, but my iris start blooming at the end of May and are peak the first week of June. Rochester is often one week ahead of me for blooming, so you might be just a bit early for most iris, but might catch the early bloomers. Good luck!

• PollyNY
    17 years ago

Welcome home Bobbie!

The iris at Highland Park are, believe it or not, Louisianas. It's called the Iris Friendship Gardens, and many of the iris were hybridized in Australia.

Unfortunately they aren't in bloom till June. We went on 6/17/06, and they were in full bloom then.

But Highland Park is amazing at any time of the year, and as I'm sure you know, mid May for the lilacs and azaleas, etc. May 11-20 this year is the festival.

Here is a link to some of the pictures I took of the iris last year.

Here is a link that might be useful: Iris Friendship Gardens

• gottagarden
    17 years ago

Your link takes us to a Dave's Garden posting that we can't view if we aren't Dave's Garden members. Do you have a different link? I'd like to see the iris, perhaps it will convince me to get out there in June.

• penny1947
    17 years ago

I am hoping that the last freeze here didn't do my La. Irises in. They were coming up and doing great until last week. I have the species Iris Fulva (copper Iris)

Penny

• PollyNY
    17 years ago

I'm so sorry, I didn't realize you couldn't see my link. I don't have any other links to my discussion on the Iris Friendship Grdens.

Here's a link to Fleur de Lis that shows a picture, but they are much better than that picture shows.

Well worth a visit.

Here is a link that might be useful: Highland Park Iris

• penny1947
    17 years ago

Polly
    Thanks for the 2nd link. Great info in there of where to buy La. Irises. In fact one of the sources is in my hometown in La. I think I will get in touch with them in case mine didn't make it this year.

Penny

• PollyNY
    17 years ago

Penny, I'm just trying Louisianas for the first time. All 6 were looking really good until this last cold burst, now 3 not so good. I have been told Bois D'Arc has very good Louisiana iris. Mine came from Iris City Gardens, and their plants are wonderful.

• penny1947
    17 years ago

Glad to here that Iris City Gardens has good plants. I have been recommending them to people looking for online sources. Mine were doing really well and sending up all new shoots also until this last freeze now I will have to wait and see as some of the new growth looks a bit on the yellow side now. If we had more snow cover I wouldn't have been concerned but all our snow melted so the new growth was all exposed to the freezing temps. I got my starts originally from another hummer gardener in Baton Rouge.

Penny