Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jerome69_gw

tomatoes

jerome69
10 years ago

has anyone started their seeds yet? I have waited because of the cold weather.

Comments (12)

• barb_adk8
    10 years ago

I started February 10th but some of the tomato seeds died as I left them in the tray too long. I have salsa, cherry, yellow pear, marglobe, Cherokee Purple and 2 yellow jubilee tomatoes. They are doing great so far!!

• party_music50
    10 years ago

I started some "Sophie's Choice" in mid-March only because I know they will do well in pots and I wanted to see if I could get some extra-early ones. :) Otherwise, with the weather we've been having I decided not to start any other tomatoes or peppers yet. Probably should start them over the coarse of the next week though... it is almost mid-April! :p

• tomtuxman
    10 years ago

I sowed Feb 27 -- cherry toms, grapes and 7 year old Marmande seed. All are about 9 to 10 inches high and are about to go into 16 oz cups today.

One year I started Jan 1 -- as a cure for winter cabin fever. When I finally planted out they were huge but didn't produce any sooner. It didn't matter; it was something creative to do when the garden was deep in snow.

• lori_ny
    10 years ago

I planted tomato and pepper seeds on March 27th. Last year, my seedlings were too small that were started April 15th so I'm trying 8 weeks this year:)

• garden_frog
    9 years ago

I started mine mid march and they are doing beautifully. I usually start in February though. I like them to be big so I can plant them deep.

I had excellent germination this year after having very poor germ last year. Still can't figure out what the difference was.

• christine1950
    9 years ago

I started too early 4/20 and they are growing to fast and now I dont know what to do with them. I have them under grow lights. I wont be able to transplant for another 3 weeks, Any advice? Should I re-pot now and then transplant outside? Thanks in advance for any advice. I have more seeds to work with if I loose these seedlings
    Christine

• party_music50
    9 years ago

yes, Christine1950, once the seedlings have true leaves you should gently separate them and repot them individually. The seedlings in the back-right pot are ready to transplant now, but I'd wait on the other two pots for now. You can bury longer stems when transplanting. You'll want to grow them larger indoors before planting outside, so your timing sounds correct to me. Just keep growing them under lights or in a bright/sunny window... they can be moved outdoors on nicer days but don't let them get too dried out, sunburned, or frozen. lol!

• christine1950
    9 years ago

Thanks party, the weather sure is crazy this year. It's probably going to hit 90 in May :

• party_music50
    9 years ago

Just to be clear, I was using "repot" and "transplant" interchangeably and simply meant that these seedlings should be separated into their own pots and grown on indoors until the 'last frost date' in your area. They should then be 'hardened off' before actually planting them outdoors -- getting them gradually used to the sun and temperature changes.

• christine1950
    9 years ago

Thank you again :>)

• rosalinda_gw
    9 years ago

I am still starting tomato seed. My peppers and eggplant are just starting to set their first true leaves. We have had such un-relentless cold and wet weather, that it will probably be the end of May before the soil is warmed up enough to plant out the tomato, peppers and eggplant.

• disneynut1977 ~ Melissa
    9 years ago

I started my tomatoes march 1st to be exact. I'm hoping to plant into my earthboxs mothers day.