Return to the Upstate New York Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Darn Bunnies!!!

Posted by booberry85 z5NY (becky@leadtesting.net) on
Wed, Apr 24, 13 at 7:01

I planted around 30 lilies (maybe more) last year. I had them around my deck and part way around one side of my vegetable garden. They put on a beautiful show too. What do I see this year? Evenly spaced holes where the bulbs were!!! I only have about 3 left! I thought I was clever and planted them near chives too, but no, that made no different! Looks like it'll be more columbine, echinacea and rudbeckia for me!

So what did those darn bunnies get of yours?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Darn Bunnies!!!

awww.... I hate losing lilies to them! but, geez, they made holes?! the bunnies here just chomp things off well above ground level. Are you sure it wasn't some other critter that dug them out? perhaps a squirrel or ground hog?!

The little bastages -- rabbits I think, but could have been deer, I suppose -- got my 3 year old cherry tree!!! It was large enough to uncage -- but I didn't plan on the snow being so deep! they ate the whole thing down to about 3 feet off the ground. I'm bummed out because it had a chance of fruiting this year. :(

They'll get more, I'm sure!

o

Truly it could be any or all of the critters you mentioned. I have seen bunnies and squirrels in the backyard. The deer have been MIA. I haven't ground hogs in our yard for a few years .I(thank goodness!) Yep! those little buggers left holes where the bulbs should be!

Big bummer about your cherry trees. I tried growing apple trees a few years back and the same thing happened. I had taped the trunks of the trees about 1 1/2 feet up, but we had deep snow that year. The bunnies and deer chewed them down to nothing.

o
Re: Darn Bunnies!!!

Bunnies ate my Bears Breeches--any suggestions on deterrents? I don't want to sprinkle pepper around my plants, but I am considering an owl statue. Help please. Thank you.

o

Two easy, cheap, and organic things seem to work well for keeping rabbits away, and should also deter deer:

1. male urine. It can be human or not, but it must be from a male. Have a guy friend water your plants -- it's free fertilizer too. :)

2. dog hair! collect loose dog hair and sprinkle it around the plants you want to protect.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Upstate New York Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here