Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anne_marie_alb

Vine for shade?

Anne_Marie_Alb
19 years ago

A friend of mine has a beautiful arbor and would like to plant a vine.. unfortunately, this is a shaded area (tall pinetrees and other evergreens around). The area gets very little direct sun, mostly dappled sun light. Would Climbing Hydrangea work? I read it is slow to establish. Any other suggestions?

Anne-Marie

Comments (3)

• herbalbetty
    19 years ago

Climbing hydrangea is VERY slow to establish. Although lace vine prefers a sunny spot here in the north, it will do just fine in a dappled sun light area. Lace vine grows rather quickly.

• Anne_Marie_Alb
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks herbalbetty. I will pass the information, although I have read lace vine is invasive (as many members of the polygonum family!).
    Any suggestion for an annual vine? I do grow thunbergia in full to half sun. I know it does flower much better in full sun, but would it at least produce a few flowers in dappled sun light???
    Thanks,
    Anne-Marie

• BronwynC
    19 years ago

I'm going to try a Climbing Hydrangea in a spot that is very similar to what you have described. I hope it works, I love my arbor but the only place I had to place it was in a semi to full shaded spot.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County