Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
penny1947_gw

First hummer siting

penny1947
14 years ago

First confirmed siting in WNY in Chautauqua County right on the PA/NY state line. Get a feeder up especially if you are in the southern tier. The southerly pre Easter winds are enabling them to move norward a little early this year.

Penny

Comments (31)

• diane_nny
    14 years ago

That's good to know.
    Here's a link to the 2010 hummingbird migration map: http://www.hummingbirds.net/map.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Hummingbird migration map

• cindjo2
    14 years ago

I had a feeling so on Easter I put up my feeder.. Haven't spotted any yet, it got cold today so that might deter them? I am hoping to see one soon.

• penny1947
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Cindijo
    I also hung two feeders on Easter Sunday. Usually I wait until the middle of April but when I saw them moving northward so early I decided what could it hurt. I am still waiitng even though I know there are several reports in the general vicinity.

Penny

• gottagarden
    14 years ago

What are they eating now, since there isn't much in bloom?

• penny1947
    Original Author
    14 years ago

GG
    Believe it or not there are plenty of tiny spiders and gnats emerging at this time of the year which provide them with protein, They do use Pulmonaria (as you already experienced last year) and Red Buckeye which is coming into bloom now along with flowering quince, native azaleas, flowering currants, native columbine, Crossvine and native honeysuckle, woodland phlox and if all else fails they will use the sap wells of trees made by sapsuckers. This is also another reason to hang a feeder early when possible. Generally their migration is timed with plants that bloom on their way northward. So even though many plants may not be blooming here, some of these could be blooming just a couple of hours south of us. They may stay and feed in an area until the sotherly winds are more compatible with their northward movement and thus also bring more plants into bloom.

One of my columbines is setting buds now, my pulmonaria is blooming beatifully and my red buckeye is ready to pop.

Penny

• penny1947
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I forgot to mention Bleeding hearts, bluebells and flowering quince which I think is starting to bloom in our area now.

As I mention in my previous post they use the sap wells of the sugar maple which is abundant here. One-stop shopping at a sapsucker well gives a hummingbird carbohydrates for quick energy, fats for longer-term use, and proteins from the tiny insects found in and around the sap to help repair and replenish flight muscles used during that long spring migration.

Penny

• disneynut1977 ~ Melissa
    14 years ago

Penny,

Thanks so much for posting all those plants that bloom early for hummers. I was thinking the same thing a few weeks ago about my property; what would they feed on? I don't have much blooming right now and what could I try adding in to help them out in the early spring.

Melissa

• pamghatten
    14 years ago

Anyone seen any yet?

• party_music50
    14 years ago

Not yet here.... I typically see my first at the feeders on/around May 10. I was certain that I heard some chattering in the trees this weekend, but it apparently wasn't them. :(

My spring flowers are about 2 weeks + ahead of schedule, so I figure that I'll see the hummers in the yard sometime between now and this weekend. There are plenty of flowers up for them to feed on here, but I also have one feeder up and ready. :)

• rosalinda_gw
    14 years ago

No sign or sound of any here yet. On the rare occasion we get early hummers they seem to like the flowers on the ajuga. That worries me since it puts them in cat range.

-Rosalinda

• penny1947
    Original Author
    13 years ago

There are reports in Lancaster, Henrietta, Webster and Rochester but that is as close as they have gotten to me. I am still waiting too. I hope that after this next cold front moves through over the week end that the wind will shift and come from the south to push them northward.

Penny

• party_music50
    13 years ago

Not here yet either, so I guess I should expect them around May 9 or 10 -- as usual!

• penny1947
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Be sure to let us know when your first shows up! I am not looking for any of mine to return until the wind shifts back from the south.

Penny

• party_music50
    13 years ago

FYI: I still haven't seen any, but my parents told me that theirs have been back for several days! (Oriskany -- halfway between Utica and Rome, in CNY)

• penny1947
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I hear your lament as there is nothing here yet either. I did see a report in Pendleton the other day which is maybe about 12 miles from me but that is as close as they have come to me so far. I am really getting depressed. On top of that the red buckeye that I planted for them 3 yrs. ago that would have bloomed this year was damaged in the storm on Saturday by the winds so that hasn't done much for my emotional state either :(

Penny

• misstish64
    13 years ago

Saw our first yesterday here in Colonie (about 15 minutes North of Albany). I was worried they'd turn right around and head south again last night as it was below freezing, but we did see one again this morning...

• penny1947
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Good for you misstish! I am green with envy even though I saw one a few miles away about an hour ago. I went looking for a good blooming hummer plant at the surrounding nurseries and as I was talking to the lady at the register at one nursery, a hummer flew in straight for all the hanging baskets. He or she will probably stay for the duration as there were tons of baskets. Anyone that is familiar with Spth's Greenhouse out on Tonawanda Crk. Rd in Amherst is where I saw him. That is as close as I have gotten so far.

Penny

• disneynut1977 ~ Melissa
    13 years ago

FINALLY,

I got my first 1 today :)

Melissa

• penny1947
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Melisssa
    Congratulations! I am still waiting very impatiently at this point.

Penny

• gottagarden
    13 years ago

I saw my first 3 days ago, and have seen them every day since. They're here!!!

• penny1947
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well I am depressed and disappointed. Still nothing here.

• herbalbetty
    13 years ago

Finally! Saw a hummer yesterday. This is the latest that the little guys have returned. But, we had 24 degrees as a low this week and had snow over the weekend. Obviously, they know more than the weatherman.

• party_music50
    13 years ago

Still none here! and this is late for me, but I have hope for later today. :) I cleaned and refilled the feeder again, just in case.

The weather here has been awful. Snow Saturday night, and hard frosts on Sunday and Monday. It really took a toll on my plants. :( Several of my favorite hostas and Japanese painted ferns were completely wiped out and some beds of bearded iris have frozen flowerbuds that won't be blooming this year. sigh.

• party_music50
    13 years ago

Some of mine are back! :)

• party_music50
    13 years ago

I only saw males last night, but this morning it's the females that are busy feeding. It's time to get out another feeder. Doin' a happy dance here! :)

• penny1947
    Original Author
    13 years ago

and still nothing here. I thought I saw one just after dawn this morning on the feeder but it was a finch. I got all excited only to be disappointed.

• penny1947
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well I just saw my first hummer of the season. It flew up to the feeder in the front yard, took a very quick drink and flew off. I sure hope he/she comes back!

Penny

• tobygirl
    13 years ago

Still no siting here in Rensselaer County.

• gottagarden
    13 years ago

Congratulations Penny!!

• rosalinda_gw
    13 years ago

My Hummers have been back for a few days. It took me 3 days from hearing the first one, to get my act together enough to get the feeders out and filled, but as soon as I put them out they were in use. I guess it was the 22nd when I heard the first one.

They really like to perch on my living arbor and scope out what is going on before and after drinking at the feeders. The honeysuckle flowers on that arbor are just starting to open, but so far the feeders seem of more interest.

-Rosalinda

• maryjane8104
    13 years ago

My hummingbirds always have returned by Mother's Day except for this year. I saw one on the Tuesday after Mother's Day and then nothing. Today I again cleaned and refilled the feeders as I do every few days but I'm wondering if we lost some with all the cold through the Southern States in January (and especially Florida). Friends in this Chenango County area are also questioning where they could be as they're not seeing them either.

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor