Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tresbelle3

Getting ready for the Hummingbirds!

tresbelle3
11 years ago

I just checked the migration map at hummingbirds.net and the little ones are on their way! It's just about time to put out some nectar and welcome back the busy little guys! Happy spring!

Comments (10)

• christine1950
    11 years ago

I'm excited too, I do see that they entered NY on the 14th,Yipppeee
    I'll put my feeder today. Happy Spring !!

• penny1947
    10 years ago

There are now two reports in western NY....One in Clarence and another that appears to be closer to Dunkirk. Waiting for confirmation on the second report.

Penny

• booberry85
    10 years ago

I saw this over the weekend and dusted off the hummingbird feeders. No hummingbirds yet! It usually takes them a couple weeks to find the feeders once they're out. Thanks for the heads up.

• eclecticcottage
    10 years ago

I see the sightings, it seems too cold at night for them to be here already! My quince is getting ready to flower but it hasn't opened up yet...and I just picked up a Major Wheeler honeysuckle from lavocats open house this past weekend, but it is NOT ready to be outside yet-even in my sunporch it curled the leaves at night. Hopefully they wait until I've got some food for them! I might put out my baskets this weekend...the million bells aren't blooming yet but the bacopa and lobelia are. I don't know if either of those interest them at all, but at least it's something. My saturn peach has some flowers on it already (talk about early) but I don't know if they like that either (new to us this year)-I know they liked the crab apple, but that's not flowering yet either...

• penny1947
    10 years ago

My red buckeye is getting close to blooming. I had to cut my Major Wheeler down because I left it in a pot over the winter outsiude inthe yard and the roots grew out of the pot ;into the ground. In order to get it out of the pot and off the small trellis it was on I had to cut it back to about a foot but my coral and Gold Flame will be able to pick up the slack until the Major starts growing again in its new location and with a new arbor that I am in the process of erecting.

pop and the Pulmonaria is blooming now. I did pick up a 6 pack of red petunias today to put in a hanging basket and my Salvia 'Amistad' which I had to order from California b/c it is only available in Calif. right now is blooming now. I also have two feeders out to start with.

Here is a link that might be useful: Salvia 'Amistad'

• Strell600
    10 years ago

Hi...when do we put out Hummingbird feeders in Upstate New York, Syracuse to be exact. See on the map, they are moving up!!!! Excited to see 'em again!!!!!

• booberry85
    10 years ago

I don't put mine out until the end of May. I looked at the map and they are up to North Carolina & Tennessee right now.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hummingbird Migration Map

• christine1950
    10 years ago

I'll put mine out the end of April. Strell, you should probably put yours out end of April too, you dont want a scout to come by and not see your feeder, if you can put out more than one...

• penny1947
    10 years ago

In previous years I have put my first feeder out as early as mid April or as late as the end of April. I have only had an early bird one time but an early feeder helps those that are passing through on their way to the northern breeding areas, The birds heading over to Canada usually pass through our area before our own birds arrive.
    Penny

• disneynut1977 ~ Melissa
    9 years ago

Ditto, 2 go out early april and I'm just putting out the rest last night. You never know when an early hummer might fly by and need a sip.