Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
penny1947_gw

Return to unseasonalb winter weather

penny1947
18 years ago

I see that we are returning to some more winter weather this week. I think it will be short lived since my jewelweed seeds are starting to spout out in the garden. That is always a good sign... I hope they don't let me down this year.

Penny

who is glad that my wintersown seeds haven't sprouted yet.

Comments (11)

• birdz_n_beez
    18 years ago

Ug, I know what you mean.
    But it is spring, my lilac bush babies say so. LOL
    Not to mention the bugs on my windshield...sure sign of spring here in NY.

Just a few more weeks. Chant with me, will you?
    A few more weeks, a few more weeks, a few more weeks... lol

• faltered
    18 years ago

I'm actually kind of glad we'll be having another cold spell. I need to get some cold-weather annual seeds planted that I've been slacking on for weeks.

Tracy

• magicman2u
    18 years ago

Hey Penny ...I wont say I told you so but.... If anyone is worried about some plants that have started to come up here is what I do! I take the empty pots I have laying around and put them over the plant and set a rock on it. I did this last year when we had that freak april storm and I think it help them a little!...well just a thought!

• penny1947
    Original Author
    18 years ago

The perennials that have been planted out for a couple of years I am not too concerned about. 99% of my winter sown stuff hasn't sprouted yet so they aren't a problem either and the stuff I started inside came back inside yesterday afternoon and only goes out when the temps are above 50. I am just ready to get out and play in the dirt and move things around.

Penny

• birdz_n_beez
    18 years ago

Well, you can always plant more seeds, but then there is the problem of where to put them all. LOL

Cold a gusting winds today.
    But! 60's are rumored for the weekend so we'll see.

• penny1947
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Plant more seeds you say LOL! I don't have room for the stuff that has sprouted and continues to sprout now.

Penny

• husky004_
    18 years ago

Penny does so well with her sprouts she'll have the 12' marigolds by June, I've seen her plants on steriods!!!

• penny1947
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Husky,
    I am beginning to think that the aspirin water must be the reason my plants get so big. I can't figure out any other reason why mine are bigger than anyone elses.

Penny

• garden_frog
    18 years ago

Ugh, Penny you are so right....winter is back. boo-hoo!

I've got daffs, tulips, and crocus in bloom. Plus tons of other perrenials growing. Hopefully everything makes it.

Scott and I had a busy weekend gardening though. I'm going to post some of my renovation pics in a separate thread.

Tara

• mulchy
    18 years ago

Yep!!! we got winter back too!!! I checked my little sprouts to day and they seem to be fine. I'm more worried about my indoor one, they need sunshine and there is not any. my broccoli has sprouted in only 3 days! Well I've shifted gears, I'm painting garden signs now!! Got all the garden angles covered!!!

• lblack61
    18 years ago

Waaah...Yes..it's cold again. That's why I always hate when the weather man sounds so chipper talking about a warm up. I know it ain't over til it's over. Last year was the one freak continuous early warm Spring that I've seen in my 44 years living here.
    I have a lot of sprouts from WSing, though I'm not sure why. I have about 50 of 250 containers and I'm rather surprised. I even checked today and found that some Zinnias have sprouted sometime between Monday and today. That means they sprouted even though we had a windchill of 14 degrees the other night! Granted, those Zinnias are getting my utmost coddling. I discovered I can't live without them in my yard.