Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
disneynut1977

Syracuse NY Location WS

Hey anybody on here that is WSing in thier front yard, do you live close to Nottingham HS in Syracuse?

I do and on the way to Wegmans, my husband pointed out I'm not the only nut that has milkjugs and other containers outside. Maybe we can swap plants when it gets warmer?

Comments (7)

• sdpa
    15 years ago

That would be me!!!! 1st year ws. We're in the yard alot - feel free to stop and say, 'hi'!

• penny1947
    15 years ago

Hey that is pretty cool! People just drive by my yard and look and shake their heads LOL!

Penny

• disneynut1977 ~ Melissa
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yeah, I wonder sometimes on what ours looks like to other people. This year will be different though, I am really concitrating on flowers this year. The last 2 years I have had a raised tomato bed with 7' high supports that is almost in my front, due to limited spots with full sun. My hubby hates it, except this year. With how high everything is getting, he said he doesn't care if I turn our whole front yard into a veggie garden, as long as we can get by not having to pay for produce $$$(I freeze our extra's for winter). He usually goes to the Farmers market weekly during the growing season, but with the higher price of gas????? We are so glad we live less than 3 miles to our place of work right now.

• srrn
    15 years ago

Hi I live in Syracuse too, have absolutely loved the weather this weekend, been outside all day Fri and Sat.
    lots of good things coming up in the garden! But what's WSing?
    I've been bringing all my seedlings in and out the last few days and nights (that's sort of a pain, maybe I need a greenhouse too)

• chrisltropical
    15 years ago

I was wondering the same thing?

Great weekend weather for sure. Friday's high in Syracuse was 79 degrees. Today's high was 87 in Syracuse!!!

Next week looks like all 70s in the forecast!

• penny1947
    15 years ago

WSing is an abbreviation for Winter Sowing. You sow your seeds in containers. Water te soil thoroughly, cover the containers and put them directly outside and leave them there until the seeds germinate naturally at their own time. Winter sowing starts any time after the winter Solstice. Many people start after the holdiays are over. No greenhouse needed, No Heat mats or cables, no light set ups, no dragging plants inside and out when you have a few nice days but chilly night. Once the seedlings germinate, they are already hardened off. You may lose a few sprouts that germinate too soon but for the most part they will remain dormant until the appropriate time. There is a Wintersowing forum here at garden web started by the person who developed the technique. Here is the link to her Wintersowing website.
    Penny

Here is a link that might be useful: Wintersowing

• disneynut1977 ~ Melissa
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yeah, the weathers been great. I've been able to take off the tops of my WS containers that have sprouted and most of my inside stuff has been out during the day to start hardening them off. Next year, I only plan on putting my warm season veggies and tropical stuff under lights. WS really does work and it saves so much space inside cause most gets started outside. I've had such higher germination with WS too. The last 2 years I have tried to start Lavender by seed, even putting it in the fridge, with NO luck. This year the 2 laveneder types I started, I have sprouts for both. Same for other things, I have tried to grow in the past.

Sponsored
Fairfax Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars53 Reviews
DC Area's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Experts