Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
penny1947_gw

4 more inches of the wihite stuff!

penny1947
19 years ago

I sure hope this is the last of it. What a tease last week with temps in the high 50's and 60's and now everything is all white again. I sure hope that my sunflower babies are nice and warm in their little container. Hopefully this will pass quickly and we can get back to warmer days again.

Penny

Comments (11)

• Anne_Marie_Alb
    19 years ago

Hi Penny! The "good" thing about snow at this time of year is that it melts in a hurry!! You don't want me to tell you when we got our last snow fall.. do you??? LOL!
    From rainy Albany,
    Anne-Marie

• kareen
    19 years ago

Ahhhhh....thats good news Penny. I was always told that snow in April is poor mans fertilizer, so now you will have extra healthy plants. Spring has sprung......just a little confused.

Here is a link that might be useful: Our pond and gardens

• herbalbetty
    19 years ago

We got 4 inches of rain last night, in addition to the 4 inches that fell Monday. Middleburgh, NY has a state of emergency, the river rose out of its bank and River Road and Main Street had water. Thankfully, we are outside of town on a hill top! It pretty much makes us stranded though until the waters recede.

• penny1947
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Anne Marie
    No I don't want to know how late you had your latest snowfall. It may just depress me too much!

Kareen,
    If that is the case I will have some very very healthy plants by the time this is all over with.

Herbal Betty,
    Just stay inside and stay warm until the water recedes. We were under a flood watch for a while as we were getting a lot of rain snow and sleet in a short period of time and the creeks were already pretty high. I imagine the watch will be implemented again as soon as it warms up a bit and this all starts to melt.

Penny

• penny1947
    Original Author
    19 years ago

It is snowing heavier now and we are under a storm watch and a flood watch. Tonawanda Creek is close to flood stage.

Penny

• Sandy_W
    19 years ago

Hi Penny I live in Cheektowaga and I can tell you I am really disappointed. It makes me sick to look outside. On Wednesday I was outside digging in my garden now we are digging in the snow. Kinda stinks at least Tuesday sounds better. Hope to talk to you again. Sandy

• penny1947
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Sandy,
    Same here. In fact I was playing in the dirt until late on Thursday and even a bit early Friday when I did some repotting. Hoping to have enough sun today to melt most of the mess in my driveway. THen by Tuesday I hope to find my winter sown containers again.

Penny

• hammerl
    19 years ago

Well, things could always be worse. Parts of Chautauqua and Cattaraugus County got 20" or so.

At least I only have 8" to deal with, already starting to melt. Although my house looks like it might become waterfront property with the new lake that's forming.

The creeks here (Ellicott, Tonawanda) crest later than they do to the east. So while the Flood Warning was cancelled for Tonawanda Creek in Wyoming and Genesee Counties, and also for Batavia, the creek will continue to rise in Erie county over the next day or so (though they estimate it will crest below flood stage), even with snowmelt. I don't know; I drove by Ellicott Creek today, and it's pretty high.

• laurelin
    19 years ago

Hi Penny,

I'm not sure if we wouldn't have preferred snow this weekend! The rain was unbelievable.

The Southern Tier is swimming - we're having the worst flooding since the 1930s, according to the local news. My house is on a bluff maybe 2/10 of a mile from the Susquehanna River, beside a large ravine with a creek. The ravine filled up to within 3 feet of the top - that's about 20 feet above the normal level of the creek. The lower half of our neighborhood is flooded, some houses up through the first floor. From a hilltop, the valley looks like somebody spilled chocolate milk all over. It's a ghastly mess. I'm going to count my blessings that we didn't get a house two blocks closer to the river. . . .

Laurelin

• penny1947
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Laurelin,
    Glad to know that you are safe. Hopefully it will drain and dry out quickly and we won't have any more storms like this for a long time. It seems that everyone around us got the rain as opposed to the snow. At least with the snow it doesn't drain into the creeks and rivers all at once like the rain does.

Penny

• Carol_from_ny
    19 years ago

Some of the problem in the Southern Tier was snow melting so fast and coming downstream. I know parts of the area around Ithaca had 16 inches of snow that had been on the ground for awhile that in just a few days melted and came down stream.